Monday, October 20, 2014

Sickness

Everyone is sick. Everyone. I don't know how we all got sick, but somehow it is sweeping through the house. It started a few weeks ago when I got strep throat. Then the kids got sick. Colds, mainly. Then Nick got sick. He may have strep but since he refuses to go to the doctor we won't know. I've told him what can happen if strep goes unresolved but he doesn't care.

Then last night Ruby got sick. Now I'll be the first to admit, I complain about Ruby a lot. She pees in my house, she pukes randomly, there is hair everywhere, and she barks her head off. But I still love her and don't want anything bad to happen to her. She was sick. She literally wouldn't even lift her head off the floor.

I took her to a 24 hour vet hospital. She was super dehydrated. Her blood counts were way off. Her respirations and heart rate were elevated. So we did a bunch of stuff. X-rays, blood tests, fecal tests, urinalysis, etc. They wanted to admit her for 2 days to give her IV fluids. They gave me the estimate and I nearly had a heart attack. $1,750.00. Yeah, that's not happening.

We decided to treat her outpatient. They gave her 2 fluid boluses subcutaneously (she looked like a camel), and sent us home with a prescription for Flagyl. That along with the treatment she already had at the hospital was just $397.62. Much better. She got home and she drank a whole bowl of water. I'm keeping an eye on her, and we'll go to the regular vet this afternoon or tomorrow depending on when we have time and how she is drinking. She's doing better already. I also have a friend who's a vet so we're keeping in touch with her as well.

I have high hopes she'll recover just fine. This was scary though because we've never had a dog get sick like this before. Yosha tore his ACL and his hips went out. Brady had a stroke. But they were both 9+ years old. Ruby is 5 at the most.

Praying for speedy recoveries for everyone in this house! We need to get better ASAP!

No comments: