Wednesday, June 22, 2011

New Jobs

Has it really been that long since I've blogged??

I guess it has. I have two blog posts written on paper that I wrote during Jury Duty and they just never made it to the computer and they are in my briefcase downstairs...I'll have to remedy that one of these days. But not tonight. This post is about my new jobs.

Yes, I said jobS.

I officially have accepted a job at Barnes Jewish Hospital in St. Louis. I will be the Unit Secretary in the Antepartum unit. I'm not gonna lie, when they first offered me this position, I had no idea what antepartum was. I was just thinking of post partum and they're obviously not the same thing. But then when I got to my final interview, they gave me tours and I realized what I'd be doing and I'm thrilled. It's the unit of the hospital where women are admitted if they are hospitalized while still pregnant. Like if they are put on mandatory bed rest and must stay in the hospital for it.

The antepartum unit is literally right next to Labor and Delivery and the Pregnancy Assessment Center. I get to work in all three units to a certain extent (like if they need extra help or something). I'll be doing a lot of secretarial work but a lot of that will be directly with the patient. I'm really excited to get to be working so closely with the patients. I have my drug screening this Friday and then my Employee Sign up on Monday and then my orientation begins on July 5th. I'm so excited and can't wait to begin!

My second job is working at a company called E&B Granite Inc. My cousin works there and got me a position doing sales. They obviously sell granite but also have cabinets, flooring, hardware etc. I've been training all week there.

Monday I worked in the shop and learned how much goes into cutting granite for a kitchen. I used to think that you just cut it and install it. WRONG! A lot goes into it and that's part of the reason the price is higher than other countertops. And if you are getting granite for a really cheap price, they are probably cutting corners somewhere that you don't want cut. To do it right, a lot goes into it and it's worth it. I learned about scanning templates into the machine to cut the pieces. I learned about cutting and reinforcing sink holes. I learned about polishing and creating edges. I learned about slab layouts and determining what looks best. I learned how to make beautiful, thin seams. I learned a LOT.

Tuesday I went out on a few installs and saw how they physically install it into a kitchen. I went to two installs and it's beautiful. I got to see how they make the razor thin seams with a special machine. I got to see how sinks were installed. I got to see a whole room completely transform with the addition of beautiful granite.

Today I did two things. I went on a few sales calls, which was scary but a very good experience for me. I also got to go to the slab yard and see all the different slabs of granite we sell. They are so gorgeous that I want to cut a few of them into 16X20 foot pieces and hang them on my wall as art work. No joke. After that, I got to go out and do a template, or measure. I got to see exactly what has to be done to measure a kitchen perfectly. It was a lot of work but now we know that kitchen will be perfect.

Tomorrow will be more sales calls and I'm excited. I can't wait to present myself and hopefully get a few customers. :)

I'm really happy right now. It's good to be out of the house again during the week and feels good to be productive. I'm hoping to keep all this up until school starts on January 17th!

Oh and if you know anyone in the market for some granite in the St. Louis area, please leave me a comment and I'll email you! We have amazing prices and only a 7 day turn around from contract to completion. That's impressive!

Man, I love being back to work!

No comments: