Friday, October 21, 2011

Marriage Advice..

If anyone here is a yahoo email user, you probably see the stories when you go to yahoo.com. You know, there are 4 stories at a time and they rotate.

Well one caught my eye. It was Marriage Advice. Here's what it said:

If you knew these things, you wouldn’t need a marriage counselor, would you? This insider info comes from psychologist Karen Sherman and from psychotherapist Wendy Allen, Ph.D., author of How to Survive the Crisis of an Affair.
  • Sixty-nine percent of all arguments between you and your partner will never be resolved. So don’t try so hard.
  • A couple that doesn’t fight is in trouble.
  • Having a “good enough” marriage is the most couples can expect and is actually quite an accomplishment.
  • Letting go is sometimes better than discussing everything to death.
  • Respect, not sex or money, is the most important factor in a happy marriage.
  • There are marital breaches worse than an affair.
  • A therapist cannot teach, train, or guide you to “be happy.” That is not a reasonable outcome to expect from therapy.
I'm just not sure how I feel about these...I agree that a couple that doesn't fight is in trouble...and I agree that some arguments will never be resolved. But a marriage that is only "good enough" is all we can hope for?...Maybe I'm reading that wrong but to me I picture someone shrugging and saying, "eh...it's good enough." when talking about their marriage. And not really thinking that their marriage is good at all. That makes me sad. And there are a lot of bad things that can ruin a marriage, I agree, but an affair has to be WAY up there on the list.

Every couple has their moments but I can honestly say that I have (for the moment at least, haha) a GREAT marriage. I'm extremely happy and I can't imagine being with anyone else.

So I guess I can sleep well tonight.

No comments: