Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Work, or lack there of...

A lot has been going on in the work front for me and I'd like to blog about it.

First off, since December of 2006, I've worked at a company that my best friend is the VP of and his dad is the President of. It's been great. I've worked in a very casual environment and gained a lot of experience since I was the main person in the office. It was a stressful but good job for me. I loved working there.

I had Annabelle 3 weeks early and kind of threw them for a loop. They had to figure out where I was with all my work and take over. Luckily, just that week I had been writing everything out and tell them things to do. But still, I'm sure it was an adjustment for them. Just as it was an adjustment for me to have a baby early; before anything was really done at home for her.

Anyway, we came home and got into our routine and I sent an email to my boss asking if it was still ok that I start when Annabelle was 2 months old.

I requested started on May 11th.

They asked that I start back on a Monday. So they proposed May 16th. I said ok.

A few days before I was due back, they pushed my start date back to May 23rd. I was upset by this. I had already been off for over 2 months and was eager to get back to work.

I said ok, but if I didn't have a job by May 23rd, I had to look elsewhere.

In the meantime, I started really considering nursing school again. I had been taking classes at night and had already applied to start nursing school. But I was using that as a back up plan. In case the economy hit hard and my company didn't survive or something. I wasn't planning on HAVING to use that back up plan.

On May 20th, I got an email saying that my start date was pushed back again to June 1st and that there were going to be changes made around the office.

I also got a phone call from Barnes College of Nursing that I could start nursing school in January 2012 instead of May 2012.

Nick and I talked. We decided that nursing was the best way to go. I didn't want to come back to work for 7 months and then leave them hanging, just like I did when I had my baby 3 weeks early. So I made the ultimate decision. To leave my former job.

I tried to do it in a professional manner. I sent my letter of resignation along with my thanks to the VP and President. And I am thankful. For everything that they have done. But this is what is best for me and my family right now.

I've been applying to jobs at all the hospitals around town. I've been applying to colleges too. I went on an interview at Wash U but haven't heard anything back yet.

Today I got an email from Barnes hospital that they think they have an opening for me. I'm ecstatic. I hope they do. I'm calling tomorrow to discuss it with them.

This is hard. I didn't want to leave my last job, but I think I'm doing the right thing. I didn't want to leave them in January and right now they've been handling everything on their own without me for almost 3 months. Hopefully this is as smooth a transition as it could be for them.

I'm really nervous about nursing school now. It was an idea, a dream, a back up plan and now it's my reality. I'm going to nursing school. I'm going to be a nurse. The idea both thrills me and terrifies me at the same time. I know school will be tough. Especially with two young children. But I'm very excited. I think I'll be an excellent nurse. And I can't wait for the opportunity.

Wish me luck on my call tomorrow. Hopefully this is a job and it gets my foot in the door at a great hospital!

Again, a thanks to Mike, my BFF, for everything he's done for me since late 2006. He's been an amazing friend and boss and I hope he is still my BFF forever. Love ya Mike!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I wish you the best of luck with nursing school. How exciting! I think my brain is officially mush at the moment so more props to you for going back to school!