Thursday, February 18, 2010

Mass

So I did it! I went to mass last night for Ash Wednesday. I'm so proud of myself. I know a lot of people who read my blog are religious and take their babies to mass every Sunday so this probably doesn't seem like a big deal to you. But it is a big deal to me.

I didn't go to mass much when I was in college. Finally, for the first time it wasn't required. I told myself that I'd go when I got married. Well I got engaged my Junior year of college and planned my wedding for the fall after I graduated. 'I'll go to mass leading up to our wedding' is what I told myself. But then that didn't really happen. So I thought once we got married, I'd go. Well that didn't happen. Then we started trying to get pregnant and I started making "deals" with God. 'I'll go to church every week if I get pregnant' and so on and so on. Well I finally got pregnant and I did go to to church. But that only lasted a few months. Then I told myself, I'll go to church with Dominick and then I'll go every week with him and it will be perfect...

And here we are. Almost a YEAR after his baptism and we went to mass for the first time since. And now I'm making the true commitment. No more telling myself I'll go and then making excuses as to why I can't. We're going every week and that's that.

I realize that I can't tell Dominick he HAS to go if he grows up in a family where his parents don't go. That's not going to work.

And you know what? I enjoyed mass last night! It's much more interesting as an adult and actually listening to the readings, listening to the homilies, and thinking about what the whole mass is about.

And Dominick was an ANGEL! He had one bad spot during mass. He started crying during the gospel and we spent the homily in the cry room, but went back in for ashes and never left our seats again. It was great. I was so proud of him.

Now if we can make mass a habit, he'll be an angel every Sunday.

Nick didn't go and at this point he refuses to go...I'm still working on it. But me and Dommie going for now is a step in the right direction. And we're not looking back.

No comments: