Thursday, March 3, 2011

Tyke Hyke Class

I've been a little nervous about Dominick becoming a big brother for awhile now. Sometimes he does amazing. He plays with the babies that I hold and gives them kisses, etc. Other times....well, once he tried to pull a newborn out of my arms, while screaming and crying...

So it's a toss up.

Since the baby will be here in 3 weeks at the most (CrAzY, right?!?!), I decided we should do something more to make sure he's prepared.

We talk about the baby a lot. But I don't think that helps. He knows there's a baby in my tummy, but he doesn't get that the baby will come out. We tell him that the baby will sleep in the crib, etc. etc. but again, I don't think it's really sinking in.

So I decided to look up "Sibling to Be" classes at St. John's Mercy, the hospital where I'll be delivering. They have a class for kids under 3 called the Tyke Hyke class. It costs $15 and is 45 minutes long. They will have a life sized baby doll there so the kids can "practice" holding the new baby. They do lots of talking and then there's a tour of the mother and baby area of the hospital so that the kids know what to expect the next time they are there. They had 2 spaces open in this Saturday's class. Classes are only offered on the first Saturday of the month, so the next one isn't until April 2nd.

I snagged one of those spots right up. :)

So this Saturday, Dommie and I (and hopefully Nick if he'll agree to come) will head out to St. John's and learn about becoming a sibling. Nick and I are both the babies of the family. Neither of us have ever had to deal with a a new sibling coming into our lives. So we have no advice for poor Dommie! I think this will be a good thing for him. And it's over by 9:15, so we can go out to breakfast afterward!

Wish us luck!

2 comments:

Joe, Jenn, Nathan, and William said...

nathan did that! we signed him up for jan 8th thinking there was no way william would be here yet...well he was so nathan went to the class with joe while i was in the hospital. when they went into the postpartum room, nathan said "where's mommy's room?" ha! enjoy it, i think it lasted a little under 45 minutes so you will definitely get to go to breakfast!

Ashley said...

I think this is a prefect plan! :)