Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Amazing Anniversary

This past weekend was one of the best of my life. (Although the whole time there was the down side that we were without our baby who didn't make the trip to Indy).

Sunday morning:
We got up, packed and got Dommie ready to go to his Nani's house for the next day and a half. We brought him over to Nick's mom's around 8:30 am and made sure he had everything. Then about 9:00 we got on the road. We made pretty good time for stopping a few times and got to Indy around 1:00 St. Louis time or 2:00 Indy time.

In Indy:
We went to the hotel bar and grill and had some lunch while watching the early football games. After lunch we went up to our room and realized Nick didn't request a king size bed. We had two double beds. Nick felt so bad but I thought it was great. We both took our own bed! We sleep in the same bed at home. This way we got our own space, own pillows and own blanket. It was fabulous! I took a nap since I haven't been sleeping too well and Nick watched some more football. Around 6:00, Nick woke me up and we got ready. Neither one of us were hungry yet so we didn't get dinner and decided to just eat at the game.

The walk to the game was interesting...to say the least. We were a little less than a mile from the Lucas Oil Stadium so we starting walking. We crossed the street as soon as we left the hotel and I'm glad we did. A large drunk man walking on the opposite side of the street from us started screaming at us. At first we thought he was kidding, because Nick was wearing a Tom Brady jersey and I was wearing a Peyton Manning jersey and we knew we'd be getting trouble from the fans. But this guy wasn't kidding. He was very very serious. First he was just yelling silly things like, "Oh H*** no! You aren't walking with Tom Brady!!" and I kind of smiled, laughed and waved, because I thought he was kidding. Then the guy went crazy. "You aren't a real fan! You should take off that jersey and burn it!! I'll rip it off and burn it!!" etc. etc. Nick and I walked a little faster from that point on!

But the rest of the walk was fun. The atmosphere was amazing! People kept giving us trouble and saying things like, "Wow. We never thought we'd see Peyton Manning and Tom Brady holding hands!" And "You two can't be married. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady? Those are too big of differences. It'll never work." And just having fun.

When we got to the stadium, I was in awe. It's gorgeous. Such an amazing stadium. And the crowd was going crazy just being there! The game hadn't even started yet. We made our way to our seats which were great and sitting on our seats were big signs that said GO COLTS! We were supposed to hold these up when they flashed to the crowd for the opening credits on NBC. Nick immediately ripped his up, but I waved mine proudly!

The game was, well, also amazing. You had to watch it. So many people I talked to fell asleep and didn't see the end. It was nuts. The crowd was nuts. The coaches were nuts. Everything just nuts! The Colts, MY Colts were down 13 points with under 5 minutes to play. I think a lot of people went to bed around then. I know a LOT of people left the stadium then (which was not received well by the rest of the crowd, let me tell you!). Peyton Manning was his brilliant self and scored a touchdown with just over 2 minutes to play. It was at this point that I turned to Nick and thanked him for such a wonderful present. I literally said, "No matter what happens, this was an awesome game and I'm so glad we're here". He was a little smug when he replied, "This is an awesome game...Tommy Terrific!" (which is what he calls Tom Brady to really piss me off...)

The Colts kicked off to the Patriots and they didn't get much of a return. They had a crazy set of plays then. They got a few yards on the first down. Called a timeout. Got a few more yards. Then it was 3rd and 2 on their own 29 yard line. They went for it, of course and my Colts stopped them. But here's the weird part. The whole stadium thought that they would punt. I was nervous because I thought that there wouldn't be enough time to march back down the field and score again. But the Pats called their 3rd and final time out and decided to go for it on 4th and 2. What?!?! Are you crazy??

I was terrified they would get it and crush my hopes of a come from behind victory, but my Colts were amazing. They STOPPED them on 4th and 2 and the Pats turned the ball over on downs. Then my man Peyton only had to get 29 yards for a touchdown and a 1 point lead. Well, come on, it's PEYTON MANNING!! Of COURSE he could get 29 yards! He scored a touchdown to Reggie Wayne with only 13 seconds left.

Amazing! Perfect! Wonderful! Which words to use?! It was just awesome. It was a great trip and ended perfectly with a come from behind victory over the PATRIOTS!

That night people gave Nick SO much trouble! We went to the bar in our hotel to catch a late night bite and I think Nick should've taken his Brady jersey off, because no one gave him a minute's peace! They were high five-ing me all night long though!

There's probably more that I'm leaving out but I started this post on 11-17-09 and I'm still working on it on 11-20-09 so I'm going to stop.

GO COLTS! Still undefeated!! :-)

No comments: