Sunday, April 25, 2010

Parents as Teachers - 15 months

After Dom's treat at Chris' Pancake House we had to head home and get ready for our parents as teachers visit.

Tracy, our leader, came over at 9:45. We went to the basement and she was asking us some questions about Dom. She asked how many words he said, and how much talking he was doing. If he was helping dress himself, and if he could stack blocks. All kinds of questions. He is testing great, and is a very smart boy.

A few things happened though at this meeting that shocked me! When Tracy got there, Dom was playing with some big legos. She asked me if he could stack them together himself. I told her that I didn't think he could. Usually he just handed them to me, one at a time and I stacked them until he wanted the whole stack and then he tore them apart. She told me that this was perfectly ok. She said if he could stack them together that would be very advanced. We started talking about something else when I noticed what Dom was doing, he was STACKING THE LEGOS! And not just two or three. He built a big stack of EIGHT!

After the excitement of that started to wear off, we were talking about movement. She was saying that Dom won't learn fear until he is 3 years or so, so we need to be careful. She said he'll climb onto things and jump off or just fall off. I told her he couldn't climb the furniture but we'd watch the stairs. Well wouldn't you know it. He then walked over to the couch and climbed right up. Like it was nothing. He just sat up there watching us and then climbed down perfectly.

He now likes to be up up the couch more than on the floor or on his chair. We have to watch him close but luckily for us, so far he knows how to turn around and slide down without hurting himself. I'll still keep an eye on him when up on furniture, of course, but it is nice that I know he can get down on his own.

What a big boy. Our P.A.T. appointment went great. My angel baby is perfect. I knew it. ;-)

No comments: