Thursday, April 8, 2010

When it rains, it pours...

This has not been a very good 24 hours for us....

It started yesterday afternoon. Lately, I've been getting a ride into work with Mike and then Nick picks me up on his way home. It's nice because a) we're being green! and b) Nick and I get to spend extra time together, just us and that's good.

Well yesterday, Nick called me around 2:30 and said that his name was drawn for a random drug test so he had to go and get that done. Either I could leave work early and go with him, or I could get a ride home with Mike. I asked Mike and since I was all caught up for the day, we decided that I would leave early with Nick. So I told him to come get me.

Around 2:50, Nick calls back and says, "I need you to do me a favor. For some reason, I don't have an updated insurance card with me. I just got in an accident and I need you to bring a copy to me." He was very calm, so I didn't freak out. I called our insurance agent, got them to fax me a current copy of his insurance card and asked Mike to bring me to where Nick said he was.

I called him again to make sure we were going to the right place and when I called, I asked him, "Was it your fault?" and he simply replied, "Yes". Ok, fair enough.

When Mike dropped me off, I didn't see too much damage anywhere. Nick's truck was off on the side of the road and the car he hit was still in the middle of the road. It was a three lane road, one headed north, one headed south, and a center turn lane. The other car was still in the center turn lane. The back end was pretty smashed but not too too bad.

I asked Nick what happened. This is when my heart sank and I felt sick. There was a sink hole filled with water a little ways down the road, I could see it. Nick didn't realize how deep it was and drove through it instead of around it. His car hydroplaned, and he lost control of the car. His car swung to the left, putting him into oncoming traffic and heading him straight for a big concrete wall. If Nick hit that wall, it could've been very bad. But he didn't. He pulled the steering wheel hard to the right and swung back into oncoming traffic. He almost flipped his car over when he hit another car that slowed him down and brought him back to all four tires on the ground. If his car flipped, that would've been very bad. We are actually extremely lucky that he hit another car. What really mad me catch my breath, was when the other car said, "I was watching you, and I honestly didn't know if you were going to survive. I thought you were going to flip and die."

WHAT?!?!!? It took a bit to calm down and realize that he's fine. He's right in front of me. I can touch him. He's fine.

But it's a scary scary thing. The accident happened around 2:45. Both Nick and the guy he hit called 9-1-1. When I got there, I called the cops, around 3:20. Three county cops drove by, but we were in the city. The county cops didn't even slow down to see if we were ok. We had 8+ people standing on the side of the road. A smashed car in the middle of the road. And the county cops didn't even slow down....Are you kidding me??

Around 3:55 we heard sirens. We weren't holding our breath at this point, but the sirens were for us. Only they weren't cops. They sent an ambulance and a fire truck to the scene....and no cops. Again....what??

We told the fire chief that we had been waiting for over an hour and he got on his phone and yelled at someone. It worked. Two cops showed up, less than 5 minutes later.

Luckily both cars were "drivable". I put that in quotes because if the guy Nick hit was more than two blocks away from home, it wouldn't have been drivable. But luckily he was close. We felt so bad for the guy, because he had just finished paying his car off the week before! What rotten luck. But he saved my husbands life and I made sure he knew how appreciative we were.

Nick's truck was ok to drive but he can't make a right too well. The tire rubs against the front bumper so once we got home, we left it there. The only damage to Nick's car is the bumper and his right head light. Very easy to fix. Thank goodness.

So that was how the afternoon started. Nick then went to do his drug test and I picked up Dommie. Later, I went to my basketball game and Nick stayed home since his back was starting to hurt.

When I got home from my game (which we won 53-25 in case anyone was curious) Dom was already asleep and Nick was laying on the couch. I gave him some Tylenol and he went to bed. I waited a little longer and then I went to bed.

A little past 10, my car alarm started going off. At first we didn't realize it was my car. After a few seconds, I asked Nick, "Is that my car?". He got up, looked out the window and said, "Yup".

So he ran downstairs to turn the alarm off. I ran to the window to look. I didn't see anyone, but I had a very uneasy feeling about it. I heard Nick turn the alarm off and re-lock it. I still felt uneasy as Nick came back up to bed. But I didn't see anyone, so I let it go. I went to bed, and got up today like usual.

I brought Dommie to daycare (we walk there every day) and then when it was time to go, I went to my car, opened the door and saw crap everywhere. My center console was wide open and there were check stubs and papers and receipts and trash EVERYWHERE! I called Nick, because sometimes he goes into my car and looks for stuff and doesn't clean it back up. He said he went into my car to grab his work overalls from the back seat and noticed that there was stuff on my front seat but he didn't do it.

"Great. My car was broken into then," I told him. He told me not to jump to conclusions and since none of the windows were broken, maybe it was a weird coincidence. But I knew otherwise. I still had that uneasy feeling and I just drove the car the night before. I didn't leave stuff everywhere. He told me to check the locks. The driver side was fine. The passenger side was not fine...that's how they got in.

"So I guess the GPS is gone then?" Nick asked. Well crap. I forgot that was in this car. I looked at the windshield, "Yup...gone."

Nick was the calm one. It's going to be fine, he kept telling me. And he's right. He's alive and well. I wasn't near the car when it got broken into. The only thing that got taken was a GPS. It's only money.

It just sucks.

I do have a lot to be thankful for. My husband is here. He didn't roll his car and he isn't seriously hurt. He's alive. And I'm here. Dommie's here. Everyone is perfect. If I have to spend a little money and buy a new GPS or God forbid, not have a GPS for a bit, then that's ok. We'll be ok.

I just hate that it always seems like, when it rains, it pours...

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Sorry about the rotten luck babe! But yes it can always be much worse, thankfully not more is wrong with nicks truck!

Jessie just got her car broken into also, she lives right near you :(