Wednesday, March 31, 2010

My Dress!


It was on the Biggest Loser last night! It was crazy.

I don't remember if I blogged much about it or not, so I'm going to re-blog if I did. Sorry!

A few weeks ago was the Incarnate Word Academy Spring Auction. I go almost every year along with my family and see high school friends, former teachers, and former players I used to coach. Well when I coached at Incarnate a few years back, I was at my all time high for weight. I was about 210 lbs and wearing a size 16 pants. Yuck.

Then I got pregnant, had Dominick and finally started weight watchers. A lot has changed since I coached there.

I now weigh 167.8 (according to last Saturday's weigh in) and I'm wearing a size 10-12. This is huge for me. A big accomplishment. I wanted to show it off!

So I took two of my best friends shopping with me. This in itself was a big deal for me because I took two of my smallest friends shopping with me. All my friends are smaller than me, but these two are little. Size 0 and size 6 maybe (and that size 6 is pregnant!). But for the first time since college, I felt like I could go shopping with them, try stuff on for them, and not feel like the "fat girl".

I didn't feel like that. I actually felt skinny. I told one of my friends when we walked in that I'd either be a Large/XL or a 12-14. So we picked out a bunch of stuff and I tried on the first dress.

When I showed her, her response made me feel like a million bucks.

"That is huge on you! It looks baggy. We need to go down at least one size."

What?!?! Baggy?? Huge?? Go DOWN a size??

This was a great day. I fit into a size 10 dress. I haven't seen that size since early college.

Anyway, this isn't supposed to be about my weight loss journey. Sorry, I got side tracked. I was blogging to say that while I was watching the Biggest Loser last night, I saw my dress.

Here's how it happened:

One of my favorites, Stephanie, got voted off last night (I say one of my favorites, but I think they are almost all my favorites). When they did her flash forward moment I had a weird sense of Deja Vu!

They showed her "now" or 7 weeks later in a mall. She said that she wanted to get a brand new dress to show off her brand new body for her 30th birthday. She was going to White House Black Market (my FAVORITE store). I laughed and told Nick, "That was me two weeks ago!".

Then she went in with her friends and started trying dresses on. I kept watching and saying, "I tried that on...I tried that on...How funny would it be if she tried on my dress?!" but they never showed her in the dressing room with "my" dress on.

Then it flashes forward to her party, she is walking in the door and I see it! She is wearing MY dress! :-) It was like I just saw a celebrity! I was yelling at the TV and Nick thought I was crazy. And I definitely am, don't get me wrong, but it was something in that moment that really connected with me.

I understood her. I felt like her. I used to be ok with being the "big" friend, but I'm not ok with that anymore. I'm 5'9" so I'm always going to be bigger than my 5'2" friends, but I don't need to feel like the fat girl anymore. I've worked hard to get where I am and I'll continue to work hard to get where I want to be. I hope to buy many more dresses from White House Black Market that make me feel just as skinny and pretty as this one did.

1 comment:

Alissabeth said...

you look amazing, lady! So proud of you!