Monday, March 8, 2010

Organic?

In November, Nick and I joined a food co-op here in the St. Louis area. What that is, is a place where you can get locally grown, organic food. My sister had joined and raved about how good the food is and told me to join. I finally caved in and joined.

Here's the website if you want to check it out.

So you pay a set amount at the beginning of the month and you get a "share" of food on Thursday of each week. You can trade items if you don't need something or just add something if you'd like more food for an additional amount. All the food is locally grown and organic.

I've never been a "health nut". I eat whatever I feel like eating. Sometimes I crave healthy food, but I crave un-healthy food too! But since joining this food group, I am an organic nut!

Last week we got some organic pizza (Dogtown Pizza - available also at Urzi's on the Hill and at most Dierberg's in the "Whole Life" section) which I made for Nick and he craved more all weekend long. I also got some honey roasted peanut butter and some blackberry jam. So I got some whole grain whole wheat bread and made a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I swear, I've never eaten something so delicious. It was amazing.

Last week we also got some spaghetti noodles. I made the pasta one night for dinner and added some olive oil, some garlic, and some goat cheese (also from the co-op) and Nick LOVED it. My picky picky husband loved it.

I'm so glad we joined! Tonight I'm making some trout we got from there. I can't wait to try it.

This Thursday is the last week and then there's a 5 week break. Starting on April 21, the next season starts. Instead of a partial share (which is what I've been doing) we are doing a full share with friend, Mike. We are splitting it. There is so much more food with the full share and I can't wait to get started!!

I might go completely organic after all this. I never knew food could taste so good!

No comments: