Monday, May 17, 2010

Ferguson 5K

My family is really getting into running! This past Saturday was the Ferguson 5K. Originally, my mom registered herself, my sister, Nick and me for the 5K. Angela and I were each going to push a jogging stroller and bring the kids along. However, so many people registered for the 5K that no strollers were allowed on the course. So we had to make a new plan.

There was also a 1 mile 'fun run' starting an hour before the 5K. So instead, my friend, Michelle, and I ran the 1 mile run and then we took the kids while the others did the 5K. This was a great plan!

Michelle and I got up to the race a little early so she could register and then we took our positions at the starting line. To be perfectly honest, we didn't think we were going to run the whole thing. But we did! When the race started, we started talking and running and before we knew it, we were at the half mile marker. Now, there's no way I could have done the 5K. I'm just not in that good of shape anymore. But the 1 mile race was perfect! A TON of kids beat us but only 1 adult beat us, so that was pretty cool. We came in 2nd/3rd for people over 10 or so. :-)

After we were done, we went to Ray Hill's Brewing Co. Restaurant for a much needed beer and relaxation. We weren't there for long when my sister, Momma, and Nick showed up with the kiddos. It was their turn to run and our turn to watch the kids. I took Cecilia and Michelle took Dominick.

At first Cecilia was really upset that her Mommy was leaving so we ordered some food for a distraction. That was the best idea ever. As soon as their dinner came (cheese pizza and french fries) they dug right in!! They were chattering and eating and having a good old time.

And our 5K runners did great!!

Angela: 52nd place overall Chip Time: 24:29 Pace per mile: 7:53
Nick: 57th place overall Chip Time: 25:01 Pace per mile: 8:03
Momma: 333rd place overall Chip Time: 38:06 Pace per mile: 12:16

There were 579 people overall who did the 5K so our runners did amazing!!

It was a great time. After they came back, we got a big table and we all had dinner together (Adam came up and joined us too). The food was amazing and we had a blast!

I'm loving all these things my family is getting into doing together! We have so much fun. Now if we could just get my Dad to come too....

No comments: