Monday, May 3, 2010

Storms


What a night, Friday night!

Nick and I didn't do much. We got home, picked up Dommie, and settled in for a night at home. Dom went down pretty early and Nick and I started watching the Cardinals game. Well, the weather was awful. There was all kinds of thunder and lightning. I was shocked Dominick didn't wake up!

The dogs HATE storms. Hate them. They pace and pant and just can't sit still or sleep. As soon as the Cards game went to a rain delay (around 8:45 I think), Nick and I headed upstairs. We looked out our front window and saw how hard the rain was flowing down our front steps. Nick decided to use this opportunity to make sure the back sewage drain wasn't clogged. That's how our basement flooded a year ago. While he was outside, I was listening to the radio.

They put a tornado warning in St. Louis City. I've heard tornado warnings before, but this one scared me. The man on the radio was saying a tornado touched down near Arnold and to go to a basement immediately. This was around 9:10 pm. When Nick came back upstairs, I was freaking out. Now, for those who know me, you already know how much I HATE storms. I hate them. They freak me out. Well, this was no exception.

I told Nick that we needed to go to the basement. He told me I was crazy. He said if the sirens go off, we'll head downstairs. So I laid down and Nick went back downstairs to check the inside of the basement door for leaking. He wasn't gone 5 minutes when I heard the sirens going off.

I jumped out of bed, grabbed my cell phone and my glasses and ran to the upstairs hallway. Nick called up to me that now we should go downstairs and to grab Dom. Of course I was going to get him, I was already picking him up when he called up to me. Nick doesn't realize the extent of my 'crazy' when it comes to storms.

I scooped Dom up and we headed for the basement. I thought maybe he would lay on me, on the couch, but I was wrong. He kept rolling away from me until I put him on the floor (on a blanket, on carpet). When I laid him on the blanket he rolled to his belly and curled up in a ball and was out.

We stayed downstairs for about 45-50 minutes and then went back up to our room after the tornado warning was over.

Luckily, all that noise and moving didn't mess with Dom. He still slept in until 7am!

No comments: