Monday, May 31, 2010

What a Weekend!

What a busy holiday weekend!! So much went on and I don't know how to condense it to one post...but I'll try!

Friday was a weird day. We got home from work (together since Nick picked me up) and there was a note on our front door. A handwritten note that just said,
"Please call us when you get home. PO - And then a name and number (which I won't post on this public blog)".

Weird. So I kind of freaked out. I didn't know who it was but this person was obviously on our front porch and I didn't want to call them. I told Nick we weren't calling it. So we went on with our night. Nick was going to go out with my sister and Andrew and I was going out with the girls to see Sex and the City 2.

Nick was upstairs when I heard a loud knocking on the front door. I went to the door and there was a boy (about 15 or 16) on my front porch holding two leashes with two dogs on them. Do you wanna guess what two dogs were on those leashes?? Yup. My dogs. They both got out. The boy asked, "Are these your dogs? I found them down the street". Well thank goodness he did! Ruby can take up to an hour to catch. And that's if we know where she is to start. I had no idea they got out! I went to give him money but he said no and he left. Before he went down the steps he told me that our back gate was open.

That freaked me out. Our gate doesn't have a latch. So Nick had to set up a bunch of cinder blocks to keep the gate closed so the dogs won't get out. So someone came into our yard and moved the cinder blocks.

I called my Dad and asked if he thought I should call the number. We tried doing some research to find out who the number was when Nick figured it out. PO. It stands for police officer. I work in a manufacturing company. The only thing that PO means to me is Purchase Order! So Nick called the number. He was right. It was a police officer. Our neighbor saw someone take our lawnmower out of our back yard and just walk it to their car like it was nothing.

That annoys me. The thing that really annoyed me was this officer told me that the neighbor had seen this very young man going into people yards and looking in their cars, garages, windows etc. but didn't want to call the police because they would seem racist. The young man was black and the neighbor was white....are you kidding?? It's not racist!! If someone who doesn't live at my house (and we know this neighbor) and they are looking in my windows and stealing my lawnmower, you better call the police! I would do it. I don't care who it is. If they don't live here, they shouldn't be in the yard. Period. And if they have a valid reason, the worst that happens is they have to answer a few questions. If you see someone in your neighbors yard who doesn't belong, just call the police.

After they saw them go down the street with the lawnmower, they decided to call. They didn't catch the guy but we have his description and we're to call the police if we see him. It's kind of ironic because the lawnmower was broken. We were getting ready to take it in. Oh well! I guess now we'll get a new one.

After dealing with that whole fiasco, I met up with the girls. We went to Vito's for dinner and then to the Moolah Theater to see the movie. I had heard such bad things about the movie that I was expecting it to be awful! And while it wasn't "movie of the year" or anything, it was much better than I expected so win-win!

I got home around midnight and just went to bed.

Saturday was a busy day! It started like any Saturday. My mom drove down to my house and we went to Weight Watchers. The only difference was that this week, Nick was golfing so Dom had to come to our meeting with us. He started off so good! But then things went south and he and I spent the meeting in the waiting area. (On the plus side, I lost 3.0 lbs!)

After WW, my mom took Dommie home with her so I could get my house ready. We were having a big dinner at our house. Me, Nick, Dom, Mom, Dad, Grandpa, Jean, Grandma, Angela and Cecilia. It was going to be a full house!

The house was basically clean, but I had to do my grocery shopping and my prep work for the meal. Then I had to finish the cleaning and set the table etc. I also had NINE bags of clothes to donate to Good Will.

Luckily, all this got done with minutes to spare and the whole dinner turned out fantastic! We had a great meal with an AMAZING weight watchers dessert. I'm going to post the recipe because it was so good.

Mixed Berry Crumble:
Ingredients:
2 cups blueberries
2 cups raspberries
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup flour
1 stick butter, melted

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350*.
In a bowl mix the brown sugar and flour.
In another bowl, combine the berries. Take 2 tbsp of the flour/sugar mixture and toss with the berries.
Add the melted butter to the mixture to create a "crumble".
Spread the berries evenly in a 8" glass dish.
Spread the "crumble" mixture on top of the berries.
Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the juices bubble.

Makes 8 servings. Each serving is 4 points.

DELICIOUS!

The meal went well and I think everyone had a great time!

Our Sunday was a lazy day! We literally did nothing all day. In the late afternoon we went out to West County Mall for me to get a new swimsuit top. I knew we were going to be swimming on Monday and needed a good top for the suit. One that made me feel good and not self-conscious all the time.

After shopping, we went home to let Dommie nap, and then we went to Nick's mom's house for a BBQ. Dommie LOVES Nani's house. She has a play house in the backyard and it's Dom's favorite. We played in the yard for awhile while Nick grilled some burgers. We had a delicious dinner.

After dinner I suggested we go to the batting cages. Nick and I joined a softball team and I'm not so good at the hitting! We all loaded in the car (Nick, Me, Nani, Dom and Uncle Rob) and went to Tower Tee. Nick, Rob and I took turns hitting in the medium arc, slow pitch softball cage. We did pretty good! I told Rob he should join our team!

After batting, we went to a Sno Cone stand near Nick's mom's house. I hadn't had a snow cone in years! It was delicious. And it was the perfect treat after a hot night playing softball. It brought me back to my childhood when we would play outside until dark and then go to Doozle's as a family for a cold treat. It was a great end to a summer night.

Ah Monday... The end of a long holiday weekend. It started off busy. Nick and Angela were doing the Memorial Day 10K in University City. It started at 7:30. My mom and I were doing the 5K, which started at 9. I dropped Dominick off at Nani's around 7:45 (Nick rode with my sister earlier) and then I picked up Andrew and Cecilia. We headed to U City and walked up to the finish line to see Nick and Ang finish their race. They did great! Both of them finished their 6.2 miles in under an hour! Nick did really well, finishing with a pace of under 9 minutes per mile!

Then it was our turn. Mom and I got into our position at the 5K start and away we went. I was really impressed by mom! She ran for the first 2 minutes or so! Then we started our walk/run strategy. We did pretty well but it was HOT. And there was only one water station, so that made it hard. I think we finished right around 42 minutes. Not bad for walk/running!

After the race, Nick and I went to get Dom and then we packed our bags and headed to my parents house to utilize the pool. I love their pool. It's so perfect. It's a salt water pool so you don't have the chlorine smell or eye irritation. It's so nice and relaxing. We swam for about an hour and then grilled some hot dogs.

It was the perfect ending to a perfect holiday weekend...Unfortunately, that means it's back to work! Hopefully this week flies by!

No comments: