Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Race for the Cure and Parish Picnic

Saturday was a busy day. But a great day.

In the morning we did the Susan Komen Race for the Cure. We had to get up pretty early and go pick up the rest of the family. Mom, Nick, Angela, Mike, Dom and I piled into our Durango. We headed downtown.

We found a parking spot and headed to the starting area. My mom, sister and I decided to run/walk the 5K. It was hot. And hilly. It wasn't our best time but we did a pretty good job. We finished in 41 minutes.

After the race, we were exhausted. Running in that heat will really take it out of you! So we grabbed some bottled water and bananas and went to our meeting spot to wait for Nick and Mike.

They had decided to walk the whole thing with Dom so they took a bit longer than we did. When they finally made it to the meeting spot, they had a surprise with them. Abbie!!

Abbie was our team captain but we hadn't been able to meet up with her before hand, so it was great that she found the boys! When we finished the race, we all headed to Tower Grove park to go to the Hartford Coffee Company. They have a kids area that is GREAT. I really should take more pictures. This back area has a train table, a pretend kitchen, trucks, books, and all kinds of other toys.

It's not the most extensive menu but the food was delicious. They have bagels with cream cheese, bagels and lox (which I had when we went back on Sunday and it is DELICIOUS!), bagel sandwiches and all sorts of coffee drinks.

After breakfast, Nick and I went home to watch the big soccer game between England and the US. (Yes, the US got very lucky).

After soccer, I headed up to the parish picnic. I've helped out at the beer booth for the last few years and volunteered to help again. The rain kept a lot of people away so we weren't nearly as busy as we have been in the past. But we kept ourselves busy and entertained....

And speaking of entertained. Nick and Dom came up to visit me at one point. Well it was SO rainy at certain points that we had to try and keep Dom busy. He was watching me pour the beer and of course, my little mimic, he wanted to try it too. So we gave him a cup to see what he would do.

DISCLAIMER - I did NOT let him actually pour any beer!!



It amazes me how much he learns and wants to try. He saw me pour a few, and he immediately wanted to do it too.

Unfortunately, the rain kept up so Nick took Dommie home. I made it home around 11:30 or so.

Long day, but a good day.

No comments: