Friday, January 28, 2011

2 year appointment

Today was Dominick's 2 year Dr. appointment. The appointment was at 9 am. I was so excited last night when I went to bed because I was sure I was going to get to sleep in a little. Dominick usually doesn't wake up on his own. I have to wake him up around 7:20-7:30 so we can get dressed, get him to daycare and get me to work by 8. Well 7:30 would be heaven to me. An extra hour to sleep sounded great.

Dominick woke up at 6:50, wide awake and ready to party. :) I brought him into our room and laid him on the bed by me. I gave him a few books and thank goodness he started reading and playing by himself. I never actually slept again but at least I got to lay in bed until 7:30.

After laying around for a bit, we got up and got dressed. We headed downstairs and I made us each breakfast (cheerios and a banana for Dom and toast with apple butter (YUM) for me). We watched an episode of Go Diego, Go! and then were getting ready to leave.

We still had the folding table in our kitchen from Dom's party. On this table I had Dominick's plate, my plate, Dom's sippy of juice, my travel mug of coffee, a cookbook, my cell phone, the TV remote and some napkins. We were sitting at the end of the table when the opposite side (thank God) collapsed and EVERYTHING went rolling to the floor. I sat in shock for a minute before I realized that my phone and the remote probably shouldn't sit in coffee for too long.

I propped the table back up, stood my coffee upright, and cleaned off the remote, my cell and my cookbook. Thank goodness for dogs sometimes. Brady and Ruby had the floor mopped up in about 2-1/2 minutes.

After this ordeal, we got our coats on and headed out the door.

We had no wait this morning and got right in to see the doc.

Dominick is doing GREAT! He's such a big boy! Here are his measurements:

Weight - 29 lbs. 12 oz. (71%tile)
Height - 3' 0.5" (93%tile)
HC - 48 cm (20%tile) - yup, he's still got that little head!

So he's right on track with what he was at his 18 month appointment.

He was talking and playing the whole time I was talking to the doc. She could tell how smart he was. He was naming the different shapes of a toy he was playing with and reading their numbers (or just naming numbers in general!). She was asking different questions about his development and she got to a vocabulary question. They worry if the child doesn't have a vocabulary of at least 20 words. She said she heard him use about 40 words just in the room! So he has NO problems with his vocabulary!

Then she had to listen to his heart and tummy, check his ears, nose, eyes, and mouth, and check his man parts. He didn't like any of these checks. I don't know how she heard his heart with all the screaming he did but she said everything looked and sounded great. So that's good!

Then she asked about lead. We had to do a blood draw for his one year appointment and it was awful. I felt horrible about it and he hated it and his arm was all bruised and it was AWFUL! Nick and I both had to go and we both struggled with it. I thought we were done with that test. She asked if we still lived in the same house and I told her we do. I thought I was off the hook then. Then she said, "Have you done any construction on walls in the last year? Like removed wallpaper or taken down drywall?"...

Deep sigh..."yes".

Great. Another lead test. That should be fun...at least I have a month or two before I HAVE to get that done.

Then came the really hard part of the day...he had to get 3 shots. 2 were required vaccines and the 3rd was his flu shot. I hadn't gotten him one yet and since we're traveling in a few weeks I wanted him to have one. So we did all that today.

The nurse came in and said, "Mom? I'm going to need you to hold him good because he seems very strong."

Well that was hard on me then too! I was holding him down and had his arms pinned and was stroking his face. At first he was just a little uncomfortable and whining since I was basically on top of him. Then I didn't see when he got the shot but I could tell by how fast his little face turned red and he stopped breathing. It was awful. You think you'd get used to this...According to his shot record, he's had 30 vaccines. Some may have been combined, and I know at least 2 were oral vaccines, but he's had at least 20 shots. But it still breaks my heart each shot.

He screamed and screamed. When she was done she told me to take my time leaving. I picked him up and he held onto me SO tight. I finally calmed him down and then he was very excited about his "bambades". He wanted to go right to Ms. Stella's to show her his 'bambades'. :)

All in all, everything is perfect. He is a healthy guy and he did really well. I'm very proud of him. He's getting so big so fast.

He doesn't go back until he's 3, although we'll be going back quite a bit once Baby A gets here. And the best part is, NO VACCINES next time! :)

PS - I did the "child height predictor" on babycenter.com. Based on Dom's current age, gender, and height, and taking into account how tall Nick and I are, Dominick is predicted to be 6'4" when he is 18. There is a 90% chance that will be within 2.1" of his actual height. And then it's also mentioned that boys grow a little after their 18th birthday.

So basically babycenter.com thinks we're looking at a 6'5" or 6'6" Dominick in 16-18 years. Great. My son will almost be a foot taller than me!

No comments: