Monday, January 17, 2011

Birthday Weekend - and a scary story...

What a weekend it was!

My birthday was Friday and it was a good birthday (for the most part). I worked in the morning at the office, then in the early afternoon, Mike and I went out to our accountants to drop off our year end stuff. After we did that, we headed to West County Mall to grab a quick lunch. I had Chick Fil A. Yum! :)

Then it was time to go home and get ready for our night ahead. I got home, took a shower, dried my hair and got dressed. We picked up Dommie from Daycare and brought him over to his Nani's for a sleepover (score!). Then we headed back home to finish getting ready.

We went to Blue Ocean Sushi for dinner with some close friends and family. We had quite the turnout! Friday was my birthday and today is my close friend, Michelle's birthday. So we were celebrating both birthdays. And technically, we were celebrating Michelle's husband (Adam)'s birthday too. His birthday is Thursday.

Anyway, we had 14 people come to our birthday party! :) It was a good time. And GREAT food.

The night ended a little rough because Nick was tired (I guess that's what happens when you have to get up for work at 5 am and you play XBox Black Ops until 2 am!!) and he was crabby by the end of the night. We fought almost the whole way home. And me being the pregnant, over-emotional person I am right now (and on my birthday!!), I cried and went to go sleep on the couch in the basement.

Quick sidenote here, my basement is really scary at night!! I was not a fan of being down there by myself when it's so dark! I debated going back up, but I had to prove a point, right??

And it worked, about 15 minutes after I got down there, Nick came down and apologized and asked me to come upstairs. I did so very willingly and we both got a good night's sleep in our room. :)

Saturday morning was good. We woke up and the marble people came to install the marble in our shower. YAY! We left for a bit to go to breakfast and I got some delicious blueberry pancakes. We picked Dom up after that and headed home. This was around 11:30. At this point, I told Nick that I hadn't felt the baby move at all that day. She wasn't moving a lot the night before but I didn't think too much of it since I had been talking and doing a lot. But the fact that she hadn't moved at ALL on Saturday was very odd, especially after eating those sugary pancakes.

I decided to drink some juice and lay down for an hour. I laid down until 12:30 and hadn't felt her move once. At this point I was starting to get a little scared. I called the exchange to talk to a doc and my doc was on call. He told me to come in. He said most likely everything was fine but we should be safe and not sorry. So I headed to the hospital. I went alone because it was almost time for Dom's nap and I didn't want to disrupt that. I also figured I would get halfway there (or all the way there) and she would start moving. No such luck. I got to the hospital at 1 and they got me in quick! I was in a room by 1:10!

They had me change into a gown and they came in to hook up the monitors. She found the heart beat right away and that helped me breathe easier. Not 5 minutes later, she started kicking. Of course. Little stinker.

I wished I could get up and go back home and say "Just kidding!!" but you can't do that. So they asked me a million questions and kept me on the monitors. I would look at them randomly and saw that her heartrate was usually in the upper 130's, lower 140's and my contractions would range from 8-16 or so. Nothing to be concerned about. I couldn't even feel those honestly.

The resident came in after one hour of monitoring and said that she was going to do an ultrasound to check growth but everything looked good. The baby was measuring right on time and was 3 lbs. 9 oz. My fluid level was 13 cm (should be over 9 at this point she told me). So everything was looking good. Then she checked my cervix. She said it was starting to thin already but it was still closed and I wasn't dilated at all. She wanted to call my doc and then she'd be back.

After she left, I started feeling contractions. A lot. I get these contractions fairly often. They don't hurt, but they make my stomach feel super tight and I can't breathe. I looked over at the machine and saw that my contractions were in the 40's and 50's. Yikes! She came back in shortly after that and told me I wasn't going anywhere. I had to be monitored for another hour to see what the contractions did. So I waited. And drank some water and waited some more. She came in around 3ish and told me that they were starting to go down a bit but she didn't like how many I was having. I told her that I get these all the time and Dr. Webb knows about them. She called him and he said I was free to go (thank Goodness!). I have to keep a closer eye on my contractions and if I get more than 6 an hour I have to call or go in. I don't think I ever get that many but I don't really count them.

I was sent home with instructions to do fetal kick counts and to monitor my contractions closely. I also have to drink more water. I don't drink enough. And so far things have been great. The baby is moving constantly and I haven't had any contractions. Things are perfect. Like I knew that they would be. I just had to hold off on going to the doc. Oh well. Like he said, better safe than sorry.

Sunday was a busier day (and my birthday dinner with the family) but this post is long enough. I'll write about Sunday later. :)

It was a good birthday.

No comments: