Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Decisions, decisions...

So I had my doc appointment yesterday. And he made me question some things.

First, I'll tell you about the appointment. It went well. Baby's heart rate was good (although they didn't tell me what it was). I heard it though, and it sounded great. My weight gain is still fine although much higher this time than with Dom. I'm at a total weight gain of 17 lbs right now. My doc told me he wanted me to gain between 25 and 30 lbs and supposedly (according to babycenter.com) I'll gain about 11 lbs this trimester so that's fine. The really sad part is that my weight now (28 weeks pregnant) is only 2 lbs more than what my weight was when I GOT PREGNANT with Dom. Eek! I don't ever want to be that heavy again. Major working out will start in May.

Sorry, off track again. So the appointment went well. No problems. Everything looked great. I'm doing fine. I got my blood drawn for my glucose test and will get those results either Friday or Monday. Until then, I'm being cautiously optimistic that I don't have GD. We'll see for sure soon though.

Next the doc and I sat down and just talked. He asked if I had any questions and we started talking about delivery. I know I still have 11 or 12 weeks to go, but if you know me at all, I'm a planner. He asked me if I wanted to consider a VBAC (guys stop reading - VBAC stands for vaginal birth after caesarian). I told him that I did want to consider it if my water broke on it's own or something. I definitely don't want to be induced again. He told me that they won't do an induction with a previous C-section patient. So it's written in my file now. If I go into labor on my own, we're trying for a VBAC. If I don't, I'll have a scheduled c-section 4-8 days before my due date (which he has as March 27th. I thought it was March 28th).

SO - at my next appointment (which is in 4 weeks), I'm scheduling my c-section. If I go into labor on my own, great. But if not, we'll already have the c-section set up.

Then we started talking about potential dates for the c-section. I told him that I'm taking a class this spring and was honestly trying to plan around that if I ended up scheduling a surgery to miss as little school as possible. He looked at me like I was insane.

He told me that he recommends that I drop the class. He told me that ultimately it's my decision, but he's afraid I'll get put on bed rest (due to stress of being pregnant, working and taking a class) or something will happen after that baby is born (like my healing being slower or something) and I won't be able finish the class. He doesn't want me to lose my money if I withdraw too late. He thinks these are probably just precautions and I should be fine, but he leans on the safe side.

So now I'm faced with a major decision. Do I drop the class?? Take my chances??

I've asked a few people and so far the consensus is to try the class. See how it goes. Talk to the teacher. Try and get it out of the way now before the baby comes. And that's where I'm leaning too. I know my doctor is just looking out for me but I personally think I can do it.

The class is from January 18 to May 15. If the baby is born the end of March, I'll only have 6 weeks of being in school with a newborn. And I'll be on maternity leave so I'll only have to focus on my kiddos and this one class. No work.

I think I can do it. What do you think??

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I would take it still I think you can do it for sure, esp since you will be on maternity leave, but I am also crazy and worked full time a week after my due date...

Up to you but I think you can do it for sure!