Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Baby Class #4, Contractions, and my OB appt.

Last night was Baby Class #4. It was our last class on childbirth. Next week we start with breastfeeding and end with newborn care and class #6 is just newborn care.

We started last night's class with a tour of the hospital. It started off really good, but then I didn't feel so great. Apparently it was obvious because I had a few people tell me I looked like I didn't feel well and the instructor asked me if I needed a wheelchair because my face was so flushed. Well I turned her down because I didn't want to be the only one in a wheelchair (silly I know) and I continued to walk. After our tour, we went back to the classroom to continue our lesson for the night and I started to feel sick. I was getting very sharp pains in my lower abdomen that wouldn't stop. I was getting the pains very regularly and they were getting worse. Everything I tried to do to feel better, failed. By the end of class, I was in so much pain I couldn't walk very far without stopping. I don't remember hardly anything from class last night, but the breathing techniques and the relaxation exercise did work and help me through the pain.

The pain lasted on and off all night last night and finally went away right before bed. Thank goodness too because I needed some sleep.

I woke up this morning feeling better but still getting pains. Luckily I had an OB appointment today. I told me doc about the pains and he wanted to do vaginal exam on me. He felt my belly and checked my cervix and told me that I was indeed having contractions all night. My cervix is soft but not yet dilated. But this is the calm before the storm. He warned me that this is my body's way of telling me to slow down and try to relax since I'm now at an even higher risk of pre-term labor. He told me that I need to stay off of my feet at work (I already sit at a desk) and when I shop I need to take 30 minute breaks every hour (I haven't shopped since October) so really I don't know what I can do to do less than what I'm already doing, but I guess I'll try to be even more lazy! ;-)

I feel good and I'm not having a lot of pains anymore. I'm still feeling Dominick kick so that's good and his heart rate was in the 150's today, so he's doing great. I just need to relax a little more I suppose.

I'll try and we'll see what happens.

I also learned today, that my diabetes is out of my control. My diet isn't working. Or isn't helping the blood sugar. I lost 4 lbs. this month which brings my net weight gain down to 9 lbs for the pregnancy! Crazy. But my blood sugar is still high so my doc put me on medicine to help me out. We'll see how that works out. Hopefully it will help get everything under control and Dominick won't get too big!

I go back to the doc 2 weeks from today and I have another ultrasound two weeks from Friday along with my biophysical and monitoring.

It's always something, isn't it??

No comments: