Sunday, November 30, 2008

Christmas Tree Shopping!!

So Saturday was awesome. My cousin, Claire, is dating a wonderful guy, Malachi, and his family owns a Christmas tree farm about 2 1/2 hours away. We thought it would be neat to drive down there and get our tree this year. It was so worth it.

We got up Saturday morning at 6:30 to get ready and my cousin, Nathan, and his wife, Annie, came over at 7:30. We got on the road about 15 minutes later. Nick and I were leading since we had the GPS but "Joan" (that's what I call my GPS voice lady) took us the scenic route. We spent a lot of time on little 2 lane roads, we passed 3 Amish people in horse and buggies, and we even had to take a mini ferry across a creek!! It was quite the adventure.

When we finally got there, Malachi told us where the trees we were looking for were and we set off. We had to get three trees. One for me and Nick, one for Nathan and Annie, and one for Uncle Brian and Aunt Lisa. We found three perfect trees. Malachi cut them down and shook the dead needles and leaves out and wrapped them up for us. We also got some Christmas wreaths from them. Malachi's mom, Marilyn, made us beautiful wreaths.

Nick and I also got a "Charlie Brown" tree. It's a small piece of tree that looks like a mini Christmas tree. We are going to have that one in the basement for Christmas. I was thinking of putting some lights on it and then getting some supplies for ornament making and having the nieces and our nephew make some Christmas ornaments and decorate the tree on Christmas night for a fun little activity to do, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea yet...I'll need input Kate and Lisa!

After getting the trees and wreaths, Malachi's family invited us in for some lunch. They made us some coffee and served us pasta, rolls, and cookies. I decided to start my diabetic diet again so I didn't eat any of the food, but I did have some coffee and it was so sweet of them to give us lunch.

On the way home we followed Nathan and Annie's GPS and it was a much different ride home! No buggies or ferries. :(

Sunday was decorating day!!

We put the ornaments on and put some bows on the tree. We also put up other decorations. We have the wreath up and holly branches over the mantle. I have little knick knacks all over the living room and dining room. Since we're hosting Christmas this year I'm trying to make the house all cute and holiday-ish. We've never hosted a holiday before and my sister-in-laws and mother-in-law's houses are so cute every holiday that I have to compete! :-)

Here are some pics from picking our tree and decorating the inside of the house (outside lights are next weekend!!):


My cousins dressed for working the tree farm! Claire, Caroline and Sara


Everyone helping wrap Nathan and Annie's tree. It was a big one!


Me and Nick with our Charlie Brown tree.


Nick decorating the tree.

And finally:

Our tree with our decorated mantle in the background.

I'm so happy our house is starting to look like I want it to for Christmas. I love the Christmas season. Only a few more weeks!!

1 comment:

Crystal Mueller said...

Wow! Your tree looks so pretty - I love it!!! The mantle looks so festive, too! :-)