Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Worst. Morning. Ever.

I can't even believe how this morning has been going.

The first bad thing is obviously the worst. Everything else is just the icing on the cake.

Today started off like any other day. Dom woke up about 7. We got up and I changed his diaper and he was running around, reading books and things while I got ready. We do the EVERY MORNING.

Well today, Dom decided he wanted to close all the doors. No big deal. He does this a lot too. Usually, he closes the door and then giggles and waits until I open it and then we both laugh. Not this morning. He went into his room, pulled the door shut and LOCKED THE DOOR.

I couldn't, for the life of me, get that door to open. It is one of those doors that has the tiny hole on the other side and you have that straight, metal key-like thing to unlock it...but that thing is pretty hard to use. Especially when your son is on the other side crying and still turning the knob.

At first I was so calm. I grabbed the key and I started working on the lock. I could hear Dom the whole time, so I knew he was ok. He was just scared. Which is normal. I was scared too! I kept working on the lock and talking/singing to Dom. After ten minutes and no unlocking, I started to worry.

I noticed the door knob was on the door by two phillips head screws. So if I could just get a phillips head screwdriver, I could take the door knob off. But where are Nick's tools??

I called Nick. No answer. I called his work phone. No reception. I called again. No answer. So I called my mom. She doesn't know what to do but tells me to call my dad. The whole time I'm doing this, I'm trying to open the door with the little "key". Finally, I start to lose it. I start crying and shaking the knob really hard. Well this makes Dom scared so now he's crying louder and calling my name. I call my dad and he is the voice of Calm. He asks me which side the hinges are on. I tell him, "the other side". So Dad asks me about the key. He tells me he's grabbing his tools and he's on his way over. Which is great, but my dad lives 25 minutes away, NOT during rush hour, and my son is crying.

I hang up and finally get a hold of Nick. He doesn't have any of his tools at home. They are all at work with him. He tells me to calm down and I basically yell at him. I told him if he didn't have anything to say to help me, then he should just go back to work. He hung up. I don't blame him. Stupid hormones.

My dad called back and was on his way but wanted to talk me through using that "key". I thought he was crazy, because I had been using it for THIRTY minutes at this point and my son was still stuck in his room. But whatever my dad said, made sense I guess, because I finally got the door unlocked.

Success! Poor Dommie. When I opened the door, he ran to me and just held on tight. I felt so horrible. We went into my room and sat on the floor together, just holding on to each other and Dom didn't make a peep. I was starting to worry that I emotionally scarred him in some way, but by the time we got to Stella's he was fine. Running and playing and having a blast.

(PS - Don't worry, I called Nick back and told him his son was ok and he was very happy).

So that was the worst thing, but there have been other things that have made this a bad morning.

After dropping Dom off, I turn down the next street (which is a one way) and there's a truck blocking the street. A car pulls behind me so I can't back up. I'm stuck until the truck decides to move. Well that took a good 5-10 minutes and finally they moved the truck. Now I'm really really late.

So I decide, I'm hungry, I've been emotional. I'm going to splurge and get some McDonald's. So I run to McDonald's and wait in a L O N G line and when it's my turn they start off by saying, "Will this be cash? Our credit card machine is down."

GRR! I don't carry cash EVER. Not even $5. So I leave there.

Now I'm really angry. I go to Burger King and order my breakfast with a decaf coffee. "I'm sorry ma'am, but we don't make decaf coffee here anymore."

Ok...so I get a soda. I go to work.

As I'm sitting down at my desk, I knock my soda over. Soda everywhere...Great.

It's just one of those days....hopefully it gets better and ASAP.

1 comment:

Laura said...

aww... what a crappy morning. thank goodness dommie is no worse for the wear. just think, with a morning like that, it can only get better from here!