Friday, October 15, 2010

16 week Dr. Appointment

Good news/Bad news...

So I had my doc appointment yesterday. It started off hopeful! I got there at 3:26 for a 3:30 appointment. I went to the bathroom to leave my urine sample and then I took a seat. I pulled out my flashcards for studying when someone came out from the back and went to make their next appointment. When she was leaving she stopped to me and said, "He's doing really good today! I was only here for 30 minutes!". Well that's awesome, I thought. He's always about 45 minutes behind so this could be pretty nice.

But we should all know that I wouldn't be that lucky.

I got brought back to the room about 3:45, which was fine. We took my blood pressure (110/60) and listened to fetal heart tones (155 bpm). Then the nurse left...and I waited...and waited....and waited...

The doc came back around 4:40 (so much for 30 minutes, in and out, right?). He felt my belly and said everything felt great. He pulled out my chart and said my weight gain is fine, as long as I'm promising I am eating and eating healthy foods (I've gained 1 pound so far this pregnancy). I assured him I am eating and then I brought up my blood sugars.

He looked at my print-outs (yes, I'm a nerd and typed up my blood sugars, printed them off and brought them along...) and he sighed and looked at me.

Good news:
My levels aren't dangerous to the baby (as of this time) and he thinks I should stop pricking my finger 4 times a day.

Yay!!

Bad news:
He's 95% sure I'm developing gestational diabetes and I have to do my glucose tolerance test at 19 weeks instead of 28 weeks.

Boo!!

He said based on my numbers, he's fairly certain that I do or will have it. Right now the levels aren't affecting the baby and they aren't that high. But when I get to 20 weeks and beyond, I need lower numbers. So we'll do the glucose test. If I pass that one, we'll do another one at 28 weeks. If I fail, well then I'm back to pricking my finger 4 times a day.

I knew this. I cried about it. I prepared for it. I started eating better because of it.

But it still sucks to hear the doctor confirm it.

Oh well! Baby is doing great! So we'll focus on the positives. I have a healthy baby growing in my tummy and I find out if it's a boy or a girl in just a few short weeks!

November 12 is the big reveal! Can't wait! :)


Upcoming Appointments:
Doctor (w/Diabetes test) - Thursday, November 4, 2010
Ultrasound - Wednesday, November 10, 2010

1 comment:

Kate Geisen said...

Well, good call on that, but yeah, it stinks. On the plus side, I bet that diabetic diet is going to force you to be even more mindful about what you eat and keep you eating good, healthy stuff. . Thank goodness it's something thats manageable...and of course it'll be sooo worth it. :)