Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Reveal Party Idea

When Nick and I first found out that I was pregnant again, we immediately disagreed on when to find out the sex. Nick and I disagree on something, surprise surprise! :)

I wanted to wait until the birth. The first pregnancy was new. Everything was a surprise so I didn't need to save another one until the END of the pregnancy. And everything was great. Every kick, every hiccup, every appointment, every week's progress. Everything WAS a surprise. So finding out was no problem. I had so many other surprises, it seemed silly to keep one more.

This time is different. While this pregnancy is still very special and I'm loving it, I've done it before. I honestly sometimes forget that I'm pregnant. Each week I blog about it and that makes that week "new" and "special" because I did forget what happens each week. But it's not as exciting as it once was.

I wanted to keep that one bit of big news a surprise. I wanted to wait until the big day and hear the doctor yell, "It's a ____ !" and be completely awed by this new person, EVERYTHING about them all at once.

Nick disagrees. He wants to know NOW. He doesn't want to wait. He says it helps him "bond" with the baby...I think he just can't handle not knowing a "secret". :)

So we compromised. We all know that Nick would slip up and tell me and it would probably be at an inopportune time where I would be shocked and upset to suddenly discover the sex of our baby. So him finding out and me not, isn't an option.

Since I'm so hellbent on being surprised on something, we agreed on a reveal party.

Now, call me crazy!, but I had never heard about reveal parties before. We just wanted to get our close friends and family over and find out together. At first, we were going to have the ultrasound tech write down the sex of the baby on a blank note card and seal it and open it with friends and family. But then that seemed a little too "normal" for us. :) I wanted everyone to find out together. No one before another.

So my mom suggested a way to help. She had a friend whose daughter was having a party to tell everyone the sex of the baby. She was the only who knew and she made a cake and make the inside of the cake tinted PINK to tell everyone she was having a girl. My mom said that she would not tell anyone and she would make us a cake.

That sounded great to me! So I suggested it to Nick. He suggested bringing the envelope straight to a bakery and having them make it so my mom could be surprised with the rest of us. That was even better!

So that's what we're doing. We've had this idea planned for awhile now. Last Friday I typed into my Google search bar "Baby Gender Reveal Party" and over 600,000 results popped up!! This is a VERY trendy thing!? Who knew??

So when we went to the bakery on Saturday morning to make sure they could do this, they've done this before! So much for being creative!

But c'est la vie. We ordered the cake (even though we don't have the ultrasound yet) and paid for it. We have the invites out (to family and Godparents only) and we're all ready to go...now we just need that ultrasound!!

Even though we aren't as creative as I thought we were, I'm still really happy with our decision to compromise. I'm getting a big surprise with family and friends and Nick gets to know 20 weeks early.

Everyone wins!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

We did a Reveal Party with Laurel (with the envelope)! It was so much fun. I love the cake idea. (Although we called ours a "Sex Party" haha).

Kate Geisen said...

What a cute idea! I've never heard of it, so you're trendy to me. I agree with you...not knowing the baby's sex does make the birth that much more exciting. I knew with my first and third babies and not with the second. It was neat being able to call people and tell them, "It's a boy!"

(And hear..."another boy?"...an echo of what I said when the doctor told me: "A boy? I already have one of those." Of course, now I have three of them!)

This is a really nice compromise for you guys. Good thinking. :)