Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Current Safe

For those of you who don't know, my Dad's family runs a union electrical contracting company. My Grandpa and his friend started it in 1948 in their garage and now my dad, my uncle and the sons of my grandpa's friend run it.


They are getting ready to start offering a new service to their customers and it is called Current Safe. I don't know the specifics yet but it seems really neat! They send an electrician to your house and they use infrared technology to look inside your walls to detect any potential problems or safety concerns. It's a pretty cool concept.

The electricians who perform this work had to go to the East Coast to get certified in using this equipment, so the workers are top of the line with a certification. Now my husband is an electrician, so you'd think our electrical is pretty good. But he can't look through walls (that I know of!) and he has no control over what was done in the house before we moved in. With having one child in the house, another on the way, and three animals who live in the house all day while we're gone, I really think this is a good idea to get all this checked out.

My dad wanted his employees to get some experience with all the equipment and especially get to see some older homes, so we had a Current Safe Electrician come to our house at 7:00 am this morning. We did a tour, and I showed him all the switches and outlets in the house along with where our electrical panel is. He pulled out a computer and a camera and was setting stuff up when I left for work. I know there will be things wrong in our report (there always are) but I'm hoping nothing too major! Although I'd rather know that we have a problem than keep on living in our house with all our precious family and not know.

I'll keep you posted on what the report says when I get it. He said it may take a few days to go through everything in our house. I don't know how long the process is, but our house is a decent size house (about 2,600 sq feet), so it may be a few days before I get the report.

I think this service would be especially beneficial to people who are trying to sell their homes or to people who are buying a new home and want to know exactly what they are getting. I hope this part of my dad's business really takes off and people can really benefit from this technology. Isn't it amazing what we can do these days because of technology??

Here's Kay Bee Electric's website if anyone is interested in this or any other service.

No comments: