Monday, October 11, 2010

Gestational Diabetes??

Or not??

Remember when I told you that I was calling my doc to see if I could start testing my blood sugars early?? Well they called me on Friday and told me that they thought it was a great idea. So they called in a prescription for new testing strips and new lancets. I picked up those two things Friday night from Walgreens and took my blood sugar for my 1 hour after dinner test....109.

So now I'm trying to remember what my targets are for blood sugar testing...I thought that 1 hour after eating my number was supposed to be under 120, but now I'm finding info that says that 1 hour after eating it should be 140. I'm like the 140 better!!

So I was all upset all weekend thinking that I have GD for SURE and now maybe I don't?!?!

Well anyway, here are my numbers:
Saturday:
Fasting - 103 (I KNOW that's high, supposed to be under 90 or 95 when fasting...not sure which one)
Breakfast - 136
Lunch - 132
Dinner - 153

Sunday:
Fasting - 94
Breakfast - 126
Lunch - 164
Dinner - Didn't take it

Monday:
Fasting - 95
Breakfast - 142
Lunch - 166

I take my breakfast number around 9:20 so I'll let you know.

I have my doctor's appointment on Thursday afternoon so I'll definitely be talking to him or the diabetic nurse trying to make sense of these numbers, but in the meantime, I'm going to try a diabetic diet. For the most part.

Today's food includes:
Breakfast (2 carb choices and 1 oz meat or meat sub)
- 1 large banana
- 1/4 cup cottage cheese

Morning Snack (2 carb choices and 1 oz meat or meat sub)
- 1 cup milk
- yogurt
- 1 oz cheese

Lunch (3 carb choices, 1 nonstarchy veggie, 3 oz meat or meat sub)
- Smart Ones Frozen meal
- 1 cup raw carrots

Afternoon Snack (2 carb choices, 1 oz meat or meat sub)
- 1 oz string cheese
- 1 large apple

I'm not sure what we're having for dinner since we'll be at my mom and dad's but since my dad has Type 2 diabetes, I'm sure I'll be fine. Moderation, moderation, moderation!

I spent the whole weekend really upset about my blood sugar levels, but now I'm much better. No matter what, whether I have it or not, I'll be fine. All it takes is some self discipline and I can do it.

I'll keep you posted! :)

UPDATED TO ADD:
My breakfast number was 142. So either a little high or medium high...I'm eating lunch now, so I'll update with my lunch number in an hour!

UPDATED TO ADD (AGAIN):
My lunch number was 166! :-( Really high no matter how you look at it...grrr!! I've been eating good things! I had raw carrots and a weight watchers lunch that had only 2-1/2 carb choices! I'm bummed out now...Thursday can't come fast enough to talk to the doc.

2 comments:

Kate Geisen said...

Should you be following a diabetic diet before you're tested? Would that skew your results lower?

You're right, though. If you have it, it's certainly manageable, and in the end might result in you gaining less extra baby weight when you have to be so conscientious about what you eat.

Good luck!

Meg said...

I'm following it because I think I do have it. I'm going to be reporting the blood sugar results to the doc and if things start to get under control, I'll "cheat" and take my blood sugar to see what happens. I probably won't even do the gd test and just follow the diet and do my blood sugars the whole time if they stay this high...we'll see! I'm sure I"ll know more when I talk to the doc on Thursday! :)