Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Treadmills

are really hard to run on, in my opinion. It's so boring.

I had to run 9 miles last night. I didn't want to do it. I didn't feel like doing it. But I did it. I was (and still am) slightly sick so I was afraid of running outside and getting too far away from the house and feeling awful trying to get back. I also wanted to try using my "Gu" (energy gel) like you are supposed to for race day. You are supposed to take it 15 minutes before the race and every 45 minutes while running. I've heard horror stories about people having to um, use the bathroom, very badly, after taking the Gu. So another good reason to be on a treadmill and close to one if this should happen.

Luckily it did not.

But, it was still a l o n g time to run on a treadmill.

The down side of the treadmill:
1) it's boring
2) there's no incline (unless you set one, and that isn't the same thing - and you can always just change it back if it gets too hard)
3) it's boring
4) it's easy to tell yourself to stop or slow down or walk
5) it's really boring
6) no feelings of accomplishment during your run. I like to set little goals for myself (just make it to that stop sign and then you can walk (which I usually don't stop and walk but still), or just run up that hill and then you can take a break (which, again, I usually don't stop, but then I feel REALLY good about myself for not stopping after reaching my goal), etc.) and you can't do that as easily.
6) did I mention how boring it is??

The up sides of the treadmill:
1) you know exactly how far you ran, no guessing (I ran 9.05 miles last night)
2) you know exactly how long it took you (it took me 1 hour and 48 minutes)
3) you know your pace (I kept the treadmill anywhere from 4.5 miles per hour to 5.5 miles per hour and did the last 3/4 mile at 7.0 miles per hour - which averaged out to just under 12 minute miles or just under 5.0 miles per hour)
4) you know how many calories you burned (I burned 1310 calories last night!)

The worst part of running on the treadmill last night was my parents keep their treadmill in their storage room between the garage and the house, so there's no TV, no radio, nothing fun to look at whatsoever. Luckily I had my iPod. I listened to music for about 10 minutes and then I put on a movie. I watched Baby Mama. It was a little tough since the screen is so small and I was running but it was good. It kept me occupied. But the movie was only an hour and a half long, so I had to switch back to music for another 10 minutes.

I really can't believe that the half marathon is only 12 days away. I feel confident. I was able to do my run last night and felt pretty good doing it. Today I feel really good. I'm not hurting like I was last week after my 8 mile run. And I only have to do another 4 miles than what I did last night. That's not too much, right?!?!

My week is looking like this:
Tuesday - Stretch and Strength Training
Wednesday - 5 miles
Thursday - 3 miles
Friday - 5 miles
Saturday - REST
Sunday - 10 miles

So it shouldn't be too bad. I should be able to do this. Two more weeks and then it's over...and I can start thinking of the next race to do to keep me in shape! I've worked too hard to quit after this race. Two more weeks. Two more weeks.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Yeah for strech and strength training today! after a hard night!!! :)

George said...
This comment has been removed by the author.