Tuesday, October 21, 2008

False Alarm

Let me begin this post by writing if you are a boy or don't like hearing girly things about pregnancy, you might not want to read this post...

With that being said, I had a false alarm yesterday. I was having some contractions on and off all weekend but wasn't too worried about them. Then yesterday I stood up to put a note on my boss's desk and I felt like I was leaking fluid. It was very scary. I ran to the bathroom and sure enough, my underwear was extremely wet. So I freaked out and called my doc, who told me to go straight to Labor and Delivery/Women's Evaluation Unit.

What an experience that was. I got to the Women's Evaluation Unit, they immediately put me in a room and hooked me up to a fetal monitor. That way we could keep track of Dominick's heart rate. Then they asked me a million questions and took a blood sample. After about an hour, they brought in a nurse/midwife to do some tests. She took a few samples and told me she'd be back in an hour. She told me that she saw fluid but it didn't look like amniotic fluid. So that was good news. She tested what the fluid was and also performed a fetal fibronectin test (which is a test that gives a positive and negative result. If it's negative, there is a very slim chance that you will deliver in the next 2 weeks. If it's positive then there's a 20% chance you will deliver in the next 2 weeks). They monitored my contractions and all kinds of other things.

My mom and Nick both came up to keep me company and the hospital brought me dinner. After about an hour and a half the nurse/midwife came back. She told me that the fetal fibronectin test came back negative (woohoo!) and the fluid was not amniotic fluid. (It wasn't urine either, because I was also slightly concerned that I did actually pee on myself!) She told me that going into my third trimester will have an increase in hormones and it was normal in pregnancy, even though it was a lot of fluid. I felt like such a fool to have gone in there for all that and everything be completely normal. But the nurse/midwife assured me that I did the right thing. She said there are two things you can't mess around with. 1) your water breaking and 2) lessening of fetal movement. She told me that they never judge anyway, but especially not with those two things. So that made me feel a little better.

Anyway, long story short...false alarm, thank goodness.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Sorry all that happeend to you Megs, but good news I guess right!
You need to get a list of ppl together for Nick to call when anything like this happens!

Sarah said...

That's so scary. I'm so relieved to hear that it wasn't your water breaking or anything else dangerous!