Friday, October 10, 2008

Well we did it....

So last night was the big night, and we did it. It was honestly one of the hardest things I've ever had to do and I hope no one else ever has to go through it. (Although I know realistically, many of you will). One thing that made me feel better about it was the vet agreed with us that is was time for Yosha to take his nice long nap. That made me feel better as I have been going back and forth for weeks and second guessing myself since I made the appointment.

It was very quick and very painless for him. We decided to stay in the room with him. The vet gave him a shot to make him sleepy and woozy. It was supposed to take affect in 5 minutes time. Well it didn't! After 5 minutes, Yosh was wide awake. So he gave him another shot. When he came back in 5 more minutes, he was still awake but starting to drift. The vet said it was a good thing that Yosh wasn't a drug addict because he just had enough meds to knock out a 300 lbs. dog and he was still awake! The next shot was the shot to actually put him down. I wasn't sure if I wanted to stay in the room with him, but I'm so glad I did. While the vet was administering the shot, Nick and I just petted him and talked to him and he just layed there. Before the whole shot was injected, Yosha was gone. It was so quick and peaceful for him. I'm glad he is finally out of pain. I cried a lot. But I felt calm after it was over.

The vet suggested that Yosha was in heaven playing ball. Well for those of you who know Yosha, he's not the "ball playing" type. He liked to be lazy and do his own thing. Yosha has only really known a few people who I believe are in heaven and Nick's Dad is one of them. So we decided that what is probably going on, instead of Yosha playing ball, Yosha just found Nick's Dad. Nick's Dad is probably at a table eating a big pork steak and Yosha is sitting right in front of him, begging for scraps! Either that or Nick's Dad is sitting in a comfy arm chair and Yosha is laying on the floor next to him. Both of those images make me feel better about everything already.

I am happy that Yosha is no longer in pain and am comforted by the fact that I truly believe we made the right decision.

Along with all of this, thank you so much to our family and friends who have been so sweet and supportive through this!! Right before we left, my sister, Angela and her husband, Andrew and their beautiful daughter, Cecilia came over to see Yosha one more time. It really helped me to hear Angela say that she agreed that we were making the right decision. Then while we were at the vet, one of my best friends, Ashley, called and left me a sweet message. When we got home we had a card in the mailbox from my good friend, Abbie, and a card with some chocolate chip cookies from our amazing neighbors, the Bettlachs. After all of this, we ran out to Nick's mom's house to say hello, and she too was so sweet and considerate during this hard time. In addition to all of these things, I can't even list all the family and friends who have sent me really sweet emails about how sorry they are. It's really great to know that we have such amazing friends and family. Thank you to everyone.

So wherever you are Yosh, I hope you are getting a nice big steak and some much deserved rest. I love you.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

I love you Yosh I will miss you, You are an amazing dog!

Crystal Mueller said...

I can't stop crying about this post! I love Yosha, even though I have never met him. I hope you are doing okay!