Thursday, October 9, 2008

Yosha...he will be missed

As long as I'm posting, I'll take a minute to write about my doggie....

We got Yosha (who is a german shepherd/chow mix) when he was a few months old. I was in between grade school and high school. He has always been such a good dog. Very mellow. Other dogs run around and get into everything. He just lays around, and cuddles when you want him to. He's like a big teddy bear.

Last summer he tore his ACL in his back left leg. When we took him to the vet, they told us that his arthritis was so bad and his hips were so weak that they didn't recommend a surgery for his knee. They told us to pray that his left leg got strong again. So we did...and it did. His knee hardened around the ACL and he was completely fine. For almost a year.

This past summer, he tore his ACL in his right knee. When we took him to the vet, they told us that his left knee had only healed about 50% and his right knee was completely blown out. No ligaments were left intact. They told us to give him a few weeks and see how he did.

Well, he struggled at first, but then started doing great! He was happy and playing in the yard. Running around and doing things he had never done. He was never an active dog, and now for the first time he was. Unfortunately, this was short lived.

The last few weeks have been really hard. He can't do any steps anymore. Poor Nick has to carry him up and down all steps. And he cries if he has to walk too far. He'll usually walk a few steps and then sit down. Then wait for some energy and get up and walk a few more, before stopping to rest again. So we made the ultimate decision. We will have him be put to sleep.

We are doing this tonight at 5:45. I let him stay outside all day today since that is his favorite place to be. My sister is coming over to say good-bye one last time. I have tears in my eyes just thinking about this but I know it's ultimately for the best. He will be missed. He was such a good dog, and so very loyal. But I know him and who he really is. He will continue to be loyal and I believe that some day we will meet again.

I love you, Yosha, and you will be missed.

No comments: