Friday, October 31, 2008

Mural Pt. 1

I started the mural last night! I couldn't hardly wait to get home to get started on it. As soon as I got home I fed the cat and let the dog out and went straight up to start working. I got this mural off of www.elephantsonthewall.com and it is amazing. It's a lot of work, but it's so easy. You get carbon paper and a sheet of your design that you trace onto the wall. When you are done tracing (which is the hard part) you just have to paint by number. You still have to trace it nicely and paint within the lines, so you are doing the work, but the set-up is so easy.

We are doing two murals in our house (or I am, since Nick told me he wants nothing to do with them!). One in the baby's room and one in the basement spare room, which we are turning into a play room. The one in the baby's room is 2' x 5'and looks great so far. The one in the basement is much larger at 6' x 8' so that one will probably be a lot more work, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Mike was supposed to come over and help me, but he fell asleep when he got home and didn't make it over. So everything you see in the upcoming pictures, I did! I'm so proud of myself! (Can you tell??) Nick was a good sport and took some pictures of me to document it. And here they are!




This is the big sheet on the wall that I had to trace. That was the hardest part I think! It took forever to trace it all!!

Edited to Add: I just realized if you look at the top picture and then at some of the later pictures, you can see how long I worked on this last night! It was very much light out when I started and pitch black when I stopped!



Our big un-veiling! You probably can't see the lines on the wall, but they are there. When I started this project, I had the whole thing up on the wall and I traced the baseball...then I decided to check and make sure that it was coming through...Good thing I did! The carbon paper was on backwards!! So I had to take the whole thing down, flip the paper and re-hang it all (All by myself still! ;) )



A close up of one of the bears traced on the wall.



Here is the dark brown of the bears. This, unfortunately, will need a second coat before I do much else. I was able to do one more color before calling it a night.



This is me doing the light brown of the bears. I had to do 2 coats of this too, but since the area of this color was a lot smaller, I did both coats last night.



Last picture! This is a close up of the top bear and what I have done so far.

I don't know when I'll get to work on it again. Tonight is Halloween, tomorrow Nick is putting up the wall and I have a baby shower...Maybe I'll work on it Sunday?? I don't know, but you know I'll post pictures when I get more done!!!

2 comments:

Les said...

Aww Megs it looks so cute! I'm excited to see Dominick's room when it's all completed! I can't believe he will be here in less than 3 months! :)

Crystal Mueller said...

Wow! I am extremely impressed! Good job!!! Keep up the great work!