Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Protected

Random, but Nick and I got a home security system last night. Installed and everything. It was very strange but worked out perfectly.



I was feeding Dom some carrots, sweet potatoes and green beans, when there was a knock at the door. I went to the door (covered in orange goo) and there was a business guy on the front steps. He started telling me about this new home security system that GE made and is trying to get the word out. Because they are looking for "free" advertising, they were installing new systems in peoples homes for free. They were supposed to do 5 homes in each neighborhood they were targeting. They already had 3 in our neighborhood and wanted to know if we were interested. Well, as we all know, nothing is free. I can't get rid of sales people though so I asked Nick to take care of it for me. He went to the door ready to tell the guy we were busy. I went to the kitchen to clean me and Dom up and the next thing I know, we're signing some papers!

I'm actually really excited about it though. It's wireless so that's pretty cool and it has an intercom on it. It's hooked up to call police, fire department and an ambulance if needed and when it calls you can talk from the intercom. No phones needed, which is pretty cool since we don't have a land line and our cell phones could be anywhere in the house.

The equipment stays with us. We own it. So that could be a good selling point (WAY in the future, if ever) and we get a discount on our homeowner's insurance.

The installation and equipment were all free (with the requirement that we keep a sign in our front yard "advertising" their system) and we just pay the monthly monitoring fee. This is fine, because we were going to get a system anyway. We just happened to get it sooner than we thought!

The main problem I think we'll have with this is forgetting to arm and disarm it. Nick kept repeating before bed last night, "Must disarm before let Brady out. Disarm before let Brady out. Disarm, disarm, disarm." He was so worried about setting it off this morning. I thought I was going to set it off too! Luckily we didn't and our house is "armed" now while we're at work!

No comments: