Friday, February 18, 2011

Dr. Updates

I'll start with yesterday's doctor appointment. It was another long one...I sat in the waiting room for almost 2 hours. No fun at all. But at least this time, he was gone on a c-section. I can handle that. When we are 2 hours behind for NO apparent reason, I get annoyed. But being gone to deliver a baby. I'm fine with that.

My appointment was at 11:00 and I got called back to the doctor around 12:45. They weighed me and I'm down 2 lbs from 2 weeks ago. They nurse was concerned but I promised her that I'm definitely eating!! That puts me at a total weight gain of 20 lbs so far, with just under 5 weeks to go. I think I should be able to stay under my doctor's goal of 30 lbs! :) Let's hope anyway! They did my blood pressure, which was good and then listened to the baby's heart rate, which was 145 and perfect.

When the doc came in, I told him about my contractions and he decided to check my cervix. We also did a Group B Strep Test just in case I am successful in having a VBAC. My cervix is still closed, so no dilation yet, but I am starting to efface. I'm almost 50% effaced already actually, but that's nothing to worry about my doc said. He said just keep drinking water and take it easy. But things are going well.

And he said we need to schedule the c-section. I got excited to pick the date but then he told me that I don't pick anything. They look at the OR schedule and look at my doctor's schedule and they schedule it and call me. I was just hoping it was not on a Monday or Tuesday, so I could go to school on Tuesday and try to miss as few classes as possible!

All said and done, when I finally got back to the room, I was in and out. I was out of the hospital and walking to my car by 1:06.

That was yesterday's appointment.

Today I had monitoring and another ultrasound. My appointment was at 7:30. I dropped Dom off at his Nani's house at 7 am and headed to the hospital. I got to the Perinatal Center at 7:34 (a few minutes late) and waited. I didn't get called back until about 7:55. They decided to do my ultrasound first. Everything was GREAT! :) She's looking perfect. Growing fine. Growing BIG actually. I'm 34 weeks 5 days today and measuring around 37 weeks 2 days. She's in the 81% for size. They estimated that she was approximately 6 lbs. 14 oz. That's a big girl!

After the ultrasound, we headed back to a monitoring room. They hooked me up to measure the baby's heart rate and my contractions. Her heart rate was good, hovering around the mid 140's, but it wasn't accelerating like it should. They had me hooked up to the machines for almost an hour. They gave me some juice and had me try moving around. I could feel her moving fine, but she wasn't "active" enough for them. So they gave up. I failed my first Non-Stress test. They brought in a hand held ultrasound machine and did a BioPhysical Profile. I had to have this ONCE with Dominick...and he failed and they induced me the next day. So I was a little concerned when they started this. Luckily I had nothing to worry about. Her fluid was good (19.3 and they want it between 12-20), so we got 2 pts there. She was breathing immediately, so we got another 2 pts. We just had to see her move sharply and we were done and out of the woods. She did that within 5 minutes, so she's good. Just not a big mover in the morning. The nurse suggested that I make my future monitoring appointments in the afternoon.

So I got the go ahead to leave. I have to go back weekly for monitoring but didn't have to come back for 3 weeks for another ultrasound (like full measuring ultrasound...they do a mini ultrasound each).

I headed to the appointment desk to schedule my next few appointments when my dr. office called. They scheduled the c-section! I'll post that in another post though. Just for fun. :)

I got to make my appointments 3 weeks out so I'm all ready for the next few weeks ahead.

Everything is going perfect! Just a few more weeks to go! Woohoo!

Upcoming Appointments:
Friday, February 25: Monitoring
Thursday, March 3: Monitoring and Dr. appointment
Thursday, March 10: Monitoring and Ultrasound

No comments: