Monday, February 14, 2011

Saturday - Flight home

Saturday was our last day in Park City. It was sad, since it was such a short trip but I was ok with going home. There's just something about going home and being in your own bed, you know??

Anyway, the nice thing about Saturday was Nick didn't ski! :) So we got to have him around the whole time.

We woke up Sunday morning and had some breakfast. We were basically trying to eat all the rest of the food at the condo. We had biscuits, cereal, and granola bars. It was delicious.

We started packing things up and waited for the Guardian Angel people to come and pick up the crib we rented. We were thinking of having Dom just sleep in a bed but the beds are really high up and we didn't want to spend our whole trip worrying and/or not sleeping, so we just rented a crib.

While we were waiting, I realized I hadn't taken any pictures yet, so I went around the condo and snapped a few pics of our place where we stayed:


The master bedroom (with just a queen - we were sad...)


The master had a walkout to the balcony, which we never used!


The walkway to the master bath. The sink was outside the bathroom,
so Nick could shower and I could straighten my hair at the same time.
That was nice! :)


Our dining room area. We didn't eat at this table much but we played cards
quite a few times!


This was our living room/family room area. A nice pull out couch and
a big comfy chair!


Our TV. And of course, Mickey Mouse Club House is on...Dom's new FAVORITE show!



Our little kitchen, which was perfect!



Dom's room. It had two twin beds in there and we rented the crib.



Mom's room. Queen bed with attached bathroom.

It didn't take long and the Guardian Angel people came and took down the crib. After they were gone, we loaded up the car and headed out. We left the condo around 11:30 and our flight wasn't until 8 that night, so we had some time to kill! We went over to Nick's sister's condo to see what they were up to. They were going to meet and have lunch at the ski resort, so we piled back in the car and headed over. We had recently eaten breakfast so we weren't too hungry. So my mom and I split a piece of pizza and a soda, Dommie had a plate of fruit, and Nick had a bag of chips. Yummy, huh?!

We hung out for awhile but everyone seemed a little down. Or stressed. Or tired. So after lunch, Nick's mom headed back to the condo with Jilly. Kate and the older kids headed back out to the mountain and Nick, Dom, Mom and I headed back to the car. We really had nothing else to do so we decided to head towards Salt Lake City.

It didn't take long for Dom to fall asleep so after we got to Salt Lake, we just drove around a bit to let him sleep longer. After we had driven long enough, we decided to just go to the airport and spend the rest of our time there.

And I'll admit, Salt Lake City has a lovely airport! :) We made it through security fine. I opted out of the X-Ray detector thingy's and chose to do a metal detector and pat down instead. And then we were off to our gate. On the way we found a restaurant (Squatter's Express!) and had a real lunch there.

After lunch, we headed to the gate. We set the DVD player up for Dom and then Nick, Mom and I started playing some hearts. We taught Mom how to play hearts on the trip and she was starting to enjoy it (I hope!). We played for awhile and then Dom got restless. Nick walked around with him on his shoulders for a bit and Dom LOVED this. He was so loud! You could hear him from a few gates away! He would call out to everyone saying, "Hi! Hi! Hi!" and of course, the occasional, "Hola!" (thank you Dora and Diego!). When he would see me, he would yell, "Mama!! What are you doing?!?" and I would say, "I'm sitting here buddy, what are you doing?". He'd answer, "I'm sitting here too! Ok - bye!" and then Nick would have to walk off and do it all over again. Everyone at the gate said how cute he was. I was just hoping none of them were sitting in front of Dom's seat...he's not so cute when he kicks your seat for 3 hours!

Finally they called us to board and we headed onto the plane. The good thing about the flight - it was practically empty! Ok, not empty but there were multiple rows around us that were empty. Nick had his own row and the row across from us was empty. The bad thing about the flight - there was a 9 month old behind us who SCREAMED the whole time. Now I'm a mother and know you can't control your kids and at that age they don't know any better. But I was annoyed that the mother and father did NOTHING to help this baby. The baby was in a car seat. They didn't get the baby a pacifier. Didn't give the baby a bottle. Didn't change the baby (when they commented multiple times on how she smelled like she pooped). Didn't pick the baby up. Didn't do ANYTHING. I felt really bad for the baby. Luckily Dom was able to ignore the screaming and watch his movie on the DVD player.

After watching some of his movie, he got out wanted to take turns sitting on my lap and my Mom's lap. He switched for quite awhile until he finally fell asleep on me...about 20 minutes before we were set to land!

We made it back to St. Louis about midnight on Saturday night (Sunday morning I guess technically) and my Dad picked us up from the airport. Luckily our luggage all came out together and we were on our way by 12:20 am.

When we got to my parents, we just put Dom right into the crib and Nick and I crashed in the guest room. We had contemplated going home to be at our own house but that seemed silly. We hadn't told Ben, my cousin and house/dog sitter for the week, that we'd be coming home so we'd have had to have slept on the couches anyway. And that didn't sound fun.

So we stayed at my parents. And it felt great to finally lay down after the long day we had!

That was our vacation. It was a short one and we didn't do anything TOO exciting since I really can't and Dom is still pretty young, but it was nice to get away.

Our last trip as a family of THREE! Our next trip anywhere, will be with two kids...what were we thinking!?


Just kidding. :)

No comments: