Monday, February 14, 2011

Wednesday - Flight out

Ok, now that I have a second, I'm going to attempt to blog about this trip! I'm sure I won't finish but I'll try to get a couple of things out before I get busy again.

The flight out was a little rough, not gonna lie. Tuesday was CrAzY as I mentioned in a previous post. I barely got to class on time. I was running running running all day long and when class ended at 9 and I went back to my parents for he night, I was exhausted. Unfortunately, Dom doesn't do nearly as well sleeping at other houses so we were in for a rough night. I tried putting him down around 9:30. He usually goes down between 8 and 8:30 and I figured he'd be tired, but I was wrong. I put him in the crib and went to get ready for bed myself.

Having packed all Dominick and my clothes for the week, I wasn't thinking and didn't have ANY clothes for us for the night and/or next morning. So I got to sleep in lovely maternity jeans. Jealous? You should be...

Dom was screaming in his room while I went to my parents bathroom to borrow some toothpaste. After a few minutes Dom stopped crying. I should've known my dad would be in there holding him. After I brushed my teeth and took out my contacts I went back to the other side of the house and saw that they were in Dom's room but Dad was holding him. Not good. We tried putting Dom back down but he figured it out. He started screaming screaming screaming.

Dad bailed...

I asked Dom if he wanted to sleep with me and he said yes. We've NEVER done this before so I wasn't sure what to expect. And there's a reason we don't do this. It doesn't work for us!! Dom was kicking and moving and talking the whole time. I kept telling him it was bed time but he didn't care.

In the mornings when I wake him up, I tickle his back and sing "Wake up, wake up, wake up!" softly to him. Tuesday night in bed, he was tickling my back and singing "Wake up, wake up, wake up!" to me!! I kept trying to get him to settle down and by 11:00 pm I quit. I brought him to his crib and decided I'd just let him cry it out.

He cried for MAYBE 3 minutes. I should've tried that an hour ago...

The alarm went off at 5:05 the next morning and we got up to get ready. Our flight was at 8:05 but we wanted to get there the full 2 hours early in case we had problems with anything. We got dressed and loaded the car. Then we got Dom up and got him dressed and headed to the airport.

I think Dad felt sorry for us when he dropped us off seeing us struggle with all our stuff! It was me (an almost 8 month pregnant chick) and my mom and Dom (an energetic 2 year old) with a LOT of stuff. We had the car seat, Dom's carry on, the diaper bag, my carry on, my purse, my mom's carry on, my mom's purse, my mom's big suitcase to check on the plane and all of our big coats. We were a sight.

We were able to drop one bag when mom checked her suitcase but we still had a ton! We struggled to get to security...and then we struggled to GO through security! It didn't help that Mom hasn't flown since basically 9-11 and was doing all the wrong things. :) She was going in places she shouldn't go and touching things she wasn't supposed to touch. I think the TSA people were worried about her! But we made it though and headed down to our gate. Mom and Dom left to get breakfast (Dunkin' Donuts) and I settled in on the floor since the gate was packed. After they got back and we all settled in to eat, they announced our gate had changed...great. So we loaded all our stuff back up to move down a few gates.

Luckily we didn't have much longer to wait. We got to pre-board since we had a small child and had to get the car seat set up and we needed every spare minute we got. We got all settled in and waited. We boarded about 7:30 and didn't actually leave until about 8:20. Dom was restless.

Luckily Nick's brother and his wife lent us their portable DVD player (GENIUS invention by the way) and we were able to calm him down quickly.



God bless Dora the Explorer...honestly.

After we got in the air, it was pretty smooth. Halfway through, Dom decided he didn't like the headphones and we had to play it with the volume low. And a few minutes after that, the battery died, but we had plenty of puzzles, books and granola bars to keep us occupied.

We still looked like crazy maniacs trying to get all our stuff OFF the plane when we got there, but we made it and Nick was waiting for us when we got our checked bag.

Somehow, someway, we all made it out. In one piece.

Thanks GOODNESS for my Mother!! Would NOT have made it just me and Dom. No way...

And that was our flight out to Park City, Utah.

No comments: