Monday, February 14, 2011

Utah Olympic Ski Park and Dinner

Thursday was our first real day on vacation.

Let me go back a second and say the Wednesday night we met up with Nick's family for dinner. It was Nick, Mom, Dom and I, Nick's mom, Nick's sister Kate, her husband Dave, and their three kids, Sophia, Henry and Jillian and Nick's brother Dan. We all met at a restaurant called Squatter's. It was VERY good. We had a few appetizers (Edamame and Fried Pickles...not together) and then our dinner. We ordered Dom a grilled cheese but I think he ate most of Sophia's mac and cheese instead! She was a great babysitter for us that night! We're lucky Dom has such great older cousins (and more great cousins at home too!) and was entertained most of the night.

Anyway, back to Thursday.

Nick wanted to go skiing, obviously, so Mom and I were on our own. We stayed around the house (condo) a lot but then ventured out for a bit. We headed back towards Salt Lake and visited the Utah Olympic Ski Park. It was part of the 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Olympics and it was really cool to see some of the event locations. We saw where they did some of the downhill skiing, some ski jumps, and there was a whole museum dedicated to the winter games. We had a good time! I've been to Park City 3 times and never seen this museum.

Here are a few pictures from the Ski Park:








After the ski park, we talked to Nick and found out he was done for the day, so we headed back to pick him up from the resort. When we got him, he was exhausted! And he was missing the family. He had been in Park City for almost 3 days and we'd been there almost 2 days and he hadn't hardly seen any of us, especially Dom (hadn't really seen Dom since Monday night) so he wanted some down time. We got back to our condo (which was awesome!) and we settled in to relax.

Then Dave called...He was able to make reservations at our favorite sushi place for dinner. He asked Nick if we were interested. Nick told him that my mom and I definitely were but he would probably pass. He was just too tired and someone needed to stay with Dom. Dave said ok. Later Dave called back and said that Kate and Dan weren't going (or any of the kids) and they could watch Dom if Nick wanted to go. Nick asked me what I thought. I asked him what he wanted. He said he missed Dom and just wanted to stay home with Dom. How sweet! How can you argue with that?!?! So I told him to have Dommie and Daddy time and we'd enjoy the most amazing sushi you'll ever eat without you. ;-)

So Dave and Sue (Nick's mom) picked us up and we headed to The Blind Dog, an amazing sushi and steak house. I was a little nervous about the dinner since it was an odd grouping of people. I love Nick's family like my own family but I wasn't sure the 4 of us would be able to keep conversation up, etc. the whole time (dinners at this place are like 2 hours) but I had nothing to worry about! We had a great time!

The food was amazing, as usual, and we all talked the whole time. We never ran out of things to talk about. Dave and I split sushi (Sue and mom aren't big sushi eaters) but we managed to convince my mom to try some. And she loved it! I was so proud of her. She tried Salmon sashimi (just fish, no rice), yellowtail nigiri (fish on rice) and a piece of octopus nigiri. She was very adventurous! We also had a bottle of red wine with dinner (I had a VERY small glass, and it was great) and then we finished with a vanilla bread pudding and a chocolate bread pudding. So good.

After dinner, we headed back to the condos and we called it a night. It was a great first full day though. Lots of fun stuff to see and GREAT food to eat. It was a shame everyone couldn't go, but I know Dom and Nick had a blast watching Thomas the Train and eating goldfish crackers and I hope Kate and Dan and the kids had a good night too! :)

No comments: