Monday, May 11, 2009

Offended...

I logged onto my blog last night to see if anyone had updated their blogs, just to see a rude comment posted on my most recent post. The post I had written was about how Dominick has been having more and more trouble falling asleep at night and how after a few hours of comforting him we decided to let him cry it out. The comment basically said that he's too young to cry it out and I should be holding him because that's what he needs.

I'm very offended by this. First off, I believe that I am a good mother and any comment questioning that offends me. Especially reading it on Mother's Day! Second off, everyone parents different and everyone's situation is different. To make such opinionated comments is just plain rude if you don't know the whole story.

Dominick is not too young to cry it out and calm himself down. Maybe other 3 1/2 month olds are too young but Dominick is very good at self soothing. Also, what is the suggestion?? That I hold him all night long if that's what he "needs"?? Dominick is very smart. You lay him in his crib and he cries. When you pick him up and he's being held, he just smiles. He knows what he wants and he's physically fine. I can't stay up all night and hold him. I have a full time job which requires sleep. I make sure his diaper is clean, he is fed, and his clothes are dry. After that, he's kind of on his own. I can't hold him all night. Or bring him into our room, if that is someone's next suggestion. I know quite a few people who would let their babies sleep with them and every single one of them regrets it now since their children are 3+ years old and still in bed with them. We won't do that. Dominick will sleep in his own room.

I'm sorry for this rant but I don't appreciate negative comments. I write this blog for me and for family/friends to know what is going on with us. I don't need someone telling me how to be a parent unless I specifically ask for help. Nick, Dominick and I are doing just fine without unsolicited outside advice.

Happy Mother's Day to me.... :(

3 comments:

Ben and Whitney Evely said...

AMEN! You put this exactly the way I would have. I think you are doing an amazing job! Aidyn also sleeps in his crib in his own bed, and he is fine. The ONLY time I ever put him in bed with me is when it's been a long night or I'm still tired at 7am when he gets up. I'll feed him and put him back in bed with me and he usually sleeps until he next feeding. I'm so sorry you had to deal with that, especially on Mother's Day.

Alissabeth said...

trying to shame people is the absolute LEAST effective way to suggest change. I'm sorry you had to deal with it, dearling.

Anonymous said...

Meg- If you don't want people to comment without knowing the whole story, then you should tell the whole story. No where in your post did you say that you tried to comfort Dom for "a few hours" as your said in this post.

As for you saying that Dom is "on his own" after you change his diaper and feed him, well, for that I have no words to respond.

I'm so glad you're not letting your child interfere with your full time job and your sleep patterns. Kudos to you.