Wednesday, November 10, 2010

20 week ultrasound!

So I had my big 20 week ultrasound this morning.

The morning started off good, well except Dommie was a stinker. But that happens half the time in the morning, so that's nothing new really. I dropped Dom off at 7:30 and then stopped at Burger King for some OJ (I've heard you should have some to wake the baby up!) and then headed out to St. John's.

My appointment was at 8:30 but I got there by 8:10. There was no traffic. I signed in but told them to wait until 8:30 because my husband was on his way. I sat down in the waiting room and started working on my Anatomy take home test (due Saturday) but didn't get far. Nick got there right at 8:30 and they called me back at 8:35.

I had a student in the room (which I'm perfectly ok with) but it tends to make things go a bit slower since they do everything twice. First they had to check my cervix. This was the NOT so fun part of the ultrasound. I've had two surgeries on my cervix and we need to make sure I won't go into labor early, so they check my cervix a few times during the pregnancy. They check this with the wand ultrasound...yeah, NOT fun.

But my cervix is great. So whew.

Then onto the fun part of the ultrasound. The baby was ROCKING out this morning! I guess the OJ worked! She could hardly get the measurements she needed since the baby was moving so much. But we got all the measurements we needed. The heart rate was perfect - down to 123 bpm, which is still healthy, and I'm measuring right on track.

I found that part interesting. With Dominick I was ALWAYS measuring ahead. Sometimes by as much as 2 weeks. I wonder if that was because of the diabetes the whole time. I didn't take the diabetes test until I was 26-28 weeks along last time but he was measuring ahead by 20 weeks and continued to measure ahead right up until he was born. This time I'm measuring just 1 day ahead, so hardly at all, and so far I don't have diabetes...I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

Anyway, the ultrasound went great. At first, the baby was in a breech position and not showing off any privates. The u/s tech told us that we'd have to get the baby to move first. She poked and prodded and got the baby to move I guess because all of a sudden she said, "I got everything I need", and she started to clean me off. I asked her if she was able to see the gender (I had a momentary freak out that she couldn't see it and we'd have no gender and no cake and just a bunch of people at my parent's and a lot of food and no baby reveal!) and she replied, "Oh I have a pretty good idea".

Hmmm...I hope that "pretty good idea" IS a pretty good idea, although how funny would it be to have a big reveal and then find out later it was wrong?! I would probably laugh. :)

We had the u/s tech write the gender on two envelopes. One to give to the bakery and one for us to keep. I want to have one for the baby book, and I wanted to double check the results after eating the cake...what if the bakery loses the envelope and just picks pink or blue?? I need to "confirm" it. ;-) The only problem with this is that I now have an envelope staring at me with the results, begging me to open it....But I won't. I'll be strong!!!


Doesn't it look like it's just begging to be opened??!!


After the ultrasound, I dropped off the bakery envelope at the bakery and they were waiting and anxious to see the result! I wouldn't let them open it in front of me, so I don't have any idea at all.

I'm starting to switch my train of thought and think BOY though...mainly because we saw her get to the gender "area" and Nick and I turned away and she knew right away. It took her less than 5 seconds to look there and move the wand. So if she knew that quickly, I think there had to be something obvious to see...but maybe I'm crazy!

So we'll see....two more days!

Upcoming Appointments/Events:
Friday, November 12 - REVEAL PARTY
Tuesday, December 7:
9 am - 24 week Dr. appointment
10:30 am - 24 week Ultrasound

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Not necessarily...the tech knew instantly that Laurel was a girl, so I think if they get a good look, they'll know quickly either way. I'm so excited!!!!

Molly said...

SO PUMPED!!!! By the way, this is the best idea ever and I'm totally stealing it for "next" time. I can't wait to find out. You're going to tell all of us after the reveal party right?

Kate Geisen said...

I'm excited for you...and for me to find out. LOL Have fun! Such a cool idea. :)