Monday, November 22, 2010

New Bathroom

For awhile now Nick and I have hated our first floor bathroom. We're very lucky at our house to have 2-1/2 baths, one bathroom on each floor. But we've really disliked the main floor bathroom. It was the original peach tile and the tub was awful and the closet was awful (nasty wood, etc.). I think I would have actually been ok if the tile was still peach and wasn't touched at all... but it was painted white, and not painted very well. It was chipping and you could see the peach through the white in most places and it was just plain awful.

A few weeks ago, we decided to redo the whole thing. Nick started tearing stuff out and breaking the tile off the walls. He took the sink out and turned the exhaust fan on because it was starting to smell a bit from all the work he was doing.

A few days later we noticed that smell wasn't in the bathroom anymore but had moved into our bedroom and the basement. Curious....

We had Roger coming today at 6:30 a.m. so Nick had a lot of work to do yesterday. I took Dommie and left to give him some space. I can't lift anything right now and he doesn't want me breathing in the dust so I'm really just in the way. And Dominick only wants Nick lately so that's not helpful either. So we left.

Before we left Nick and I were discussing a few things. He said he wasn't going to mess with the exhaust fan since it was already set up and venting outside. He would keep it in the same place. But we changed a few other things.

He worked all day moving stuff out of that bathroom (along with Mike's help) and got everything out. When I got home, I took a peek. All the walls were gone and the toilet, tub, and sink were on our deck! They worked hard. Nick asked me to look at the exhaust fan. It wasn't connected to anything!!!! It was sucking the air and instead of VENTING it outside (like they are supposed to) it was just sucking everything into our walls!! AND it wasn't connected correctly (I've lived with an electrician my whole life). It was spliced and there were LIVE wires hanging off it!! Thank GOD we decided to redo it!!

One more thing about the tub, sink, etc. Nick and Mike put them out in the alley (today is bulk pick up on our street). Within 15 minutes, the tub and the sink were gone. The only thing left was the toilet. And that will be picked up today. Gotta love the city and the dumpster divers!!

So today Nick and Roger are working hard. Nick is putting up new lights. We'll have three LED lights in the ceiling. We'll have a new light over the vanity. Nick is getting the tub today/tomorrow. We are getting a new toilet, new vanity and putting up cultured marble around the inside of the shower. I know this all won't be done this week, but it will be a start!! I'm hoping to have the whole bathroom done by Christmas!

Slowly but surely, this house is becoming my dream home!

No comments: