Thursday, November 4, 2010

Dr. Appointment

I had a doctor appointment this morning. It was a normal check up and also (dun dun dun) my glucose tolerance test. My appointment was at 9:20, but the receptionist ROCKS and told me if I got there before 9 she would make sure I was the first person the doctor saw. Worked for me!

We had a LAZY morning this morning. I slept in until 7:15 and got up and let the dogs out. Dominick slept in until about 7:30 and was in such a happy mood. We got dressed, got some milk, took our time and headed out the door about 8:10. I dropped Dom off at Stella's and then headed out to St. John's.

I got into the doctor's office at 8:56, perfect timing for my 9:00 appointment. I went to the bathroom, and when I came back they had my glucose drink ready for me...yum.

The only good thing I can say is, at least it was fruit punch flavored this time instead of orange. I'm not a fan of orange drinks. But that's all I can say. It was awful. I felt so sick. I literally thought I was going to get physically ill. But luckily I did not.

I got called back shortly after that and got weighed in (gained 4 lbs since last visit - EEK - but still puts me at only 5 lbs gained so far this pregnancy - YAY), got my blood pressure taken (120/70) and then they used the doppler to hear the baby's heartbeat (143 bpm).

After that it was some waiting for the doc. When he came in, he felt my belly (everything is perfect) and said that this is my "honeymoon" stage. Within a month of two I'm going to get big and tired and uncomfortable. So, things to look forward to, I suppose. ;-)

He told me to be careful of back injuries but I can still pick up Dominick since I am a physically fit person. But be careful while I do it.

I mentioned all the contractions I had the other day and he told me that although it's scary, it's probably completely normal. I'm right at the time when I'll probably start feeling contractions. But if they get really bad and/or regular, that's when he's worried. He told me if they start up again like that to really pay attention to what I'm doing. Have I been lifting too much? Standing too long? Not drinking enough water? And try to fix those things. If things don't get better, then call in. But he told me I'm at a low risk of going into pre-term labor but he'll evaluate me more closely when I get to be a little further along.

So everything is looking great! He's happy I have another u/s coming up. We'll get to see that baby and see how big he/she is getting.

One more week (and a day) until we find out if we are carrying a little boy or a little girl!! I'm still thinking girl, but that heart rate today threw me for a loop...maybe it is a boy? :) Either way will be perfect.

Upcoming appointments:
Wednesday, November 10 - Anatomy Ultrasound
Friday, November 12 - Reveal Party
Tuesday, December 7 - Dr. appointment (24 week check up)

No comments: