Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Doc appointment 12 weeks

I had a doctor appointment yesterday. It went good. I got back pretty quickly to the room. I weighed in and found out that I've gained .2 lbs in the last two weeks...not sure how I feel about this yet. I know it's way too early to obsess over weight gain, especially when it's 1/5 of a pound, but I know it's still early to be gaining weight! But I guess I am almost in my second trimester so we'll see.

After they weighed me, I settled in and they took my blood pressure (fine - 120/65) and told me that since I was 12 weeks we were going to try and listen to fetal heart tones with the doppler machine. So she lubed my tummy up and started trying to find the heart beat. I love those machines. You hear so many cool noises! You could hear my heartbeat and my tummy making noises. Since the baby is still only about 2-1/2 inches or whatever, they can move FAST. She would find the heartbeat and then the baby would move to the other side of my belly. It took her three tries after finding the heartbeat for the baby to stay still long enough to get a reading, but we finally did. Heart rate was 154 - perfect! Pretty close to what Dommie's was. Dommie's was usually in the mid to upper 140's.

After that I waited....and waited.....and waited....until I finally had to run to the bathroom and came back and waited....and waited some more. At 10:20 the doc came in (my appointment was 9:40) and told me that we were doing an ultrasound (yay!) and brought in a little machine. It's amazing how nice the ultrasounds are at the Perinatal Center. This machine was nice, but no where near the quality of the other machines. But we got to see the baby and that's all that matters. The baby was moving all over the place and we say the heart pumping away. Doc said everything looks great.

After the u/s we talked for a minute. I get to slowly stop taking the prometrium (yay!! this is what he thinks is making me so sick and giving me headaches) and I'm supposed to focus on my diet. All my blood work came back perfect and he said I'm one of his healthiest patients. :)

I have an ultrasound at the perinatal center on September 29 (when I'm 14 weeks) and another doc appointment on October 14 when I'll be 16-1/2 weeks. I think I'll either be finding out if it's a boy or a girl at that October appointment (if he does another u/s) or at the next ultrasound appointment which will be around October 27. We'll see!

No comments: