Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Sick Baby

Sunday afternoon we went straight to my parent's house to pick up Dom. When we got there, he felt a little hot to me, but my Mom had recently taken him for a walk so I didn't think much of it. We stayed for a bit, then went home where Dom fell asleep on the drive home. He napped for a bit and then was pretty fussy when he got up. I kind of chalked that up to just waking up and not getting enough sleep. He didn't eat much (but he normally eats a BIG lunch and a smaller dinner) so that wasn't too odd either.

Around 6:30 Nick left to go hit golf balls. Me and Dom were hanging out and watching the Backyardigans (Dom's FAVORITE show). At 7pm Dom asked me to go up to bed....what?? He's never done that. He pointed to the steps and said "Nigh-nigh?". So I said ok, and we headed upstairs. I changed his diaper and then picked him up to put him in bed. He went straight down and fell asleep almost instantly. I decided to let him sleep for about an hour. I went back downstairs and watched an episode of Big Brother and then about 45 minutes later I went up to check on him.

He was sleeping when I peeked in on him but I guess he heard me close the door because then he got up and started crying. When I picked him up, his cheek hit my cheek. It was on Fire! I laid him on the changing table and grabbed the thermometer. I took his temp while he was squirming and it said 100.1. I got him to calm down and sit still and I took it again. 102.0. Well no wonder he's been fussy.

I went to the medicine cabinet and grabbed the infant tylenol. Expiration date: 07/2010. Well great. There were so many recalls on infant acetaminophen that I don't want to risk giving him expired medicine. So I called Nick. No answer. Actually, it went straight to voicemail. His phone was off. So Dom and I went downstairs and waited for Daddy to get home.

When he did get home, I sent him off again (well I offered to go instead but he said he'd go) and he came back about 30 minutes later with the Walgreens brand of infant acetaminophen. We gave him a dose (which he thoroughly enjoyed) and headed upstairs for a cool bath. He had a blast in the bathtub - like usual. When we laid him down he felt much cooler. So we left him in bed for another hour. I checked on him around 10 and he temp was down to 94.1 and he was covered in sweat. The sheets were soaked by his head and he was dripping. I freaked out, picked him up and brought him into our room. I called Nick up and he felt him and said he thought I was overreacting (which is probably true) and Dom cried to go back to "me bed!". So we laid him back in his bed and took turns taking his temp throughout the night.

I did this the most since I'm still waking up multiple times to go to the bathroom. Around midnight it was 96.8. 2am it was 97.1. Nick checked him around 4:45 and it was up to 98.5. So we're doing good. When I got him ready it was up to 99.1. I sent him to daycare with the Tylenol and went to work hoping he would be good and I wouldn't get a phone call to come get him.

He was an angel all day at daycare.

We are thinking that either he had a quick bug or he was starting to get his 2 year molars. He was a little fussy but never bad. Either way, I feel so bad for the little guy. Since we weren't home all weekend I'm not sure if that came on Sunday afternoon/evening or if he didn't feel well all weekend. I'd feel awful if we were gone while he felt sick!

He's much better today. Happy, talking, playing, reading me books, and a perfect temperature of 98.7. :)

1 comment:

Laura said...

poor little guy. glad he's feeling better!