Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Not out of the woods yet...

That's what the doc told me yesterday. We didn't do much at the appointment at all. I got there and turned in my 17 pages of medical history (since this is just an OB and you can only see him while you are pregnant, every new pregnancy is treated like a new patient appointment and you have to start over), left a urine sample, and took my place in the waiting room.

After a short wait, I got to go back to the room. They weighed me (15 lbs lighter than my first appointment pregnant with Dominick!), and took my blood pressure (perfect). Then they told me that my doc was on-call today and off delivering a baby...of course he was. So we settled in to wait.

While waiting, a nurse came in to go over my medical history and make sure there were no major changes since last time. Since I was diabetic before, I have to do the glucose tolerance test early than normal this time. If I pass the first test, then I retake it at the regularly scheduled time for the test. I'm hoping with eating better and starting off thinner, I'll avoid the diabetes this time. But it does run in my family and I had it last time, so we'll see.

We got lucky this visit, the doc had been gone awhile when we got there so we only had to wait for him a short while before he came back (after delivering a "handsome baby boy" he told us). He came in and he did our normal checks. He checked my belly (said it's soft, which is good). Felt where my uterus should be (said it's hard, which is good). Did a basic exam on the rest of me and then we started talking.

He told me that he thinks I have no reason to think this won't be a smooth pregnancy, but I'm not out of the woods yet. When you first find out you are pregnant, you have a 30% chance of miscarriage. When you see the heartbeat the first time, your risk drops to 20%. If you still have a good heartbeat around 10 weeks, your risk drops to 10% and if you make it to 13-14 weeks with good growth, etc. your risk drops to less than 3%. So I still have a few weeks to go before he wants to tell me to breath too easy, but he's confident things are going well.

My next appointment is today already for an ultrasound. He's the doc at the perinatal center today so he'll get to see my ultrasound immediately and we can talk again. Then, he decided to space out my appointments so I'm not taking off early two days in a row. So my next OB appointment is in just 2 weeks. Then my next ultrasound will be in 4 weeks. So I'll be back to seeing the doctor every other week again. Which is great! And not so great...all at the same time. I hate taking off work so much, but I LOVE seeing the bean!

I'll post pictures and updates after the ultrasound today. Wish me luck!

No comments: