Friday, November 21, 2008

30 week Ultrasound

Well today I am officially 30 weeks pregnant!! I'm still measuring very far ahead so while my "official due date" is January 30, my ultrasound due date is January 19. They think I'll have to go early so I don't know what to think or go by anymore!

The ultrasound went good. We didn't get a lot of good pictures but I could see him and that made me feel good. As soon as the u/s tech put the probe on my belly, Dominick kicked it off! :-) I felt it and the lady was said, "We have a kicker!". He didn't like the probe too much apparently.

Here are a few pictures from today:



This is his spine.



This is his face. If you tilt your head to the right and kind of squint you can see his nose and his lips.

After she did the regular ultrasound we tried doing a 3d shot of Dominick's face. But at this point Dominick decided to use the placenta as a pillow and bury his face. So we got a nice shot of his foot! Now I'm warning you, it looks a little scary and like his foot is not attached to the rest of his body...I assure you it is. The angle of the u/s cut off the rest of his leg, so you can only see his foot and the umbilical cord by his legs.



After the ultrasound was over I had to meet with the on-call doc. That was the scariest part today. He told me that everything looks good and the growth is good so far (Dominick is 3 lbs. 15 ounces-ish) but we need to start doing biophysicals because of a few reasons.

I go back to do an u/s and do monitoring in four weeks. Then I have to go to the perinatal center to do my monitoring twice a week until I deliver. The biophysical includes putting a monitor on me to track Dominick's heart beat and my contractions. After that, they do an u/s to check a few things, such as muscle tones, breathing, amniotic fluid, heart rate, etc. We also have to check growth because if Dominick starts to get too big we might run into a problem. I have to do this monitoring twice a week, every week. If a problem arises, they will likely induce me or schedule a c-section.

We'll see when we get closer. I will probably go early the doc said because of three reasons, 1)I have MTHFR, 2)I have gestational diabetes, and 3)the amniotic fluid was a little low. Still in the "healthy" range, but on the low side.

So wish me luck that Dominick gets to stay put for at least another 8 weeks!

No comments: