Thursday, November 6, 2008

I failed

My doctor called me a few hours ago to tell me that I failed my 1 hour glucose test. I'm pretty bummed out about it.

For those of you who don't know what the 1 hour test is, it's when you are tested for gestational diabetes. The first step is the one hour test. You go to the doctor and drink a very sugary drink (tastes like really sweet orange soda) and then wait an hour. After that hour, you get your blood drawn and they test your sugar levels. If you have elevated levels, you have to take the 3 hour test. This one is a little worse. You have to fast, so no eating past midnight. Then you go in first thing in the morning and drink another drink (with NOTHING else in your system...not even water!) and wait another hour. You get your blood drawn at 1 hour, 2 hours and at 3 hours. If you fail this test, then you have gestational diabetes...I think.

I guess I'll find out more next week. I took my 1 hour test on Tuesday and found out today that I failed. I go in on next Tuesday to take the 3 hour test. We'll see how that goes.

I know it's not the end of the world, but I really didn't want to have to take the 3 hour test. Oh well. C'est la vie...

No comments: