Thursday, November 13, 2008

Test Results...

It's official. I have gestational diabetes. I'm just sitting here in shock still. I know it will be ok, but I have all these new pregnancy fears now.

I have to go to a class next Thursday. I will meet with a dietician and the diabetic nurse. They will give me my glucose meter and teach me how to use it. I have to take my blood sugar 4 times a day from now on. We'll discuss a new meal plan for me to follow to make sure I'm as healthy as I can be. I have to go to see my doctor every other week and on the "off" weeks, I need to call in my blood sugar results for the week. They are hoping diet alone will fix it but I failed 3 out of 4 of my blood draws. The only one I passed was my fasting blood draw. They are thinking it will take more than just diet for me, but we are trying to be optimistic that this will work.

Until then they told me to just watch what I eat and increase my proteins and decrease my carbs. I'll try to do that.

Keep your fingers crossed that diet alone will fix it.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm so sorry Meg. That really sucks. I know I'd be feeled with new worries, too. But tons of women get GD and go on to have perfectly normal pregnancies, deliveries and very healthy babies. Try not to stress out about it too much.

You'll be in my prayers,
Sarah

Crystal Mueller said...

Oh No, Meghan! That really stinks. I have my glucose tolerance test on Saturday and I'm nervous about it. If it makes you feel any better, like your friend, Sarah said, I know someone who had gestational diabetes with both of her girls and everything went absolutely fine with both births.
I will be praying for you that the diet alone will be enough to keep you healthy. You do know that this means Dominick will be here sooner than expected now, right? That is exciting!!

Meg said...

Thanks Crystal and Sarah....

I know it will be ok. It's just bad timing. I don't get to eat everything I want at Christmas and Thanksgiving! :)

And Crystal, I like that. He'll be here sooner then. That's a good trade off! Good luck on your test and keep me updated.