Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Baby Class

Much against Nick's will, he and I are taking a baby class at St. John's Hospital. It is a long class and goes on for 6 weeks. It's a combo of Childbirth, Newborn Care, and Breastfeeding. I think it will be very beneficial. Nick's not so sure. He thinks that I should just go into this blind and get the drugs. While many people do this, and there's nothing wrong with that, I like to be prepared for things. So we are taking the class.

We had our first class Monday night. I'll admit that Nick is right about one thing...it's a LONG class. It goes from 6:30-9:30 p.m. and we get one break. It's an interactive class, meaning she wants you to be talking and participating a lot and Nick's not sure about that part yet either. Normally I love to talk, but I'm even a little hesitant to do that.

Our first class was good. A lot of what we learned this first week was "review" for me and Nick since I'm addicted to all baby books. Most of what she told us about what in the Labor and Delivery section of What to Expect While You're Expecting (and yes, I've already read that section). So he was a little bored (and so was I) at the beginning. But the end was much more informative for us. We did breathing exercises and relaxation exercises. I sat on a pillow on the floor while Nick sat in a chair behind me and massaged my shoulders and neck. I liked that part! Next week will be much more beneficial for us (albeit a little scary) because we see the birth video (an actual person giving birth) and we work more on breathing. We were also instructed to bring lotion if we have a preference and we are learning how to give proper massages. Can't beat that!

The first four of our six classes are all about childbirth. During the fourth class we get a tour of the hospital including where we check in, the labor and delivery rooms, post partum rooms, and the nursery. The fifth class is newborn care and breastfeeding tips and the sixth class is just newborn care...I think that's what she told us.

I'm really looking forward to our next class and all the classes. The main reason I'm looking forward to each one is it helps the weeks go by if I have something each week to look forward to. When we "graduate" from our class, I'll only have 4 weeks to go!! And sometimes it doesn't seem like it can come fast enough! :-)

No comments: