Friday, November 21, 2008

Diabetes Class

Yesterday was my diabetes class at St. John's hospital. There were three of us in the class. It was good I guess, but I'm now coming to terms with the fact that I'll be very hungry for the next ten weeks.

We started off talking to the diabetic nurse. We got our blood sugar testing machine things and started off by testing our blood sugar. It was supposed to be between 65-140 and mine was 115. Good start! She also talked to us about what being diabetic entails. She assured us that it isn't anything we did wrong and that this sometimes happens and not to feel guilty. That made me feel better because I was feeling like I was doing all the wrong things to end up with GD. Meeting with the diabetic nurse lasted about an hour.

Then we met with a dietician. She had written out a meal plan for us to follow. It looks tough. We learned that 15g of total carbohydrates = 1 carb "choice". We are only allowed a certain number of carb choices a day. My particular amount is 14 carb choices a day. I am also only allowed 10 ounces of protein a day. It's hard to only eat that much!!

Just so you can see how bad it is (I'm in a grumpy mood today so I'm complaining a lot...sorry!) I'm going to show you my meal plan for today... :-)

Breakfast:
2 slices wheat toast with 1 tbsp of sugar free jam
1/4 cup of cottage cheese

Snack 1:
1 large apple
1 tbsp of peanut butter

Lunch:
Sandwich
2 slices of wheat bread
2 ounces of ham
lettuce
1 ounce of cheese
celery sticks
1 low fat yogurt
8 ounces of milk

Snack 2:
pretzel twists (30)
1 ounce cheese

Dinner:
2 eggs, scrambled with 1 ounce cheese and peppers
1 cup raspberries
1 english muffin with 1 tbsp sugar free jam

Snack 3:
1 low fat yogurt
1 small apple
1 tbsp peanut butter

That is my meal plan for today...Isn't it kind of sad??

I also was high on both of my readings so far today. My "fasting" number was supposed to be 65-90 and mine was 107, so that's not too bad. But my 1 hour after breakfast reading was supposed to be 65-140 and mine was 165. Hopefully my body will adjust to this new diet and get this whole blood sugar under control.

Whew, sorry I just vented so much! I feel better though!

Edited to Add:

My blood sugar after eating lunch was down to 145!! Still high but at least closer to being in range!!

No comments: