Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Day #22: A long, long day

Today was a long day and kind of scary as well. The whole day is focused around my NST this morning. My appointment was for 9 a.m. I went in and they started with a fluid check. This went great. His fluid was 13 and that is perfect. Then they started the NST. This wasn't as good. Dominick wasn't waking up for us this morning. They had me on the monitor for awhile and his heart rate was in the 140s but not accelerating at all. So they buzzed him...nothing. Then they had me lay on my side to try and get him to move...nothing. Then they buzzed him again...nothing. Next they gave me some graham crackers and some milk...nothing. They buzzed him a third time...nothing. So they quit the NST and put me back in the ultrasound room to do a biophysical profile. We started the ultrasound and immediately he was breathing. It was very cool to watch. That gave him 2 points. He also had two points for good fluid so he had 4 points total. The score is out of 10. We knew he already lost 2 because he failed the NST. So we were checking movement and muscle tone. We watched for the full thirty minutes and got...nothing. He failed the biophysical profile. So at this point, I'm kind of freaking out. Not a lot and not obviously...just on the inside. So they went to talk to the on call doctor. They decided that I had to be admitted to the hospital and hooked up to the external monitors for 2-3 hours. So they wheeled me up to the Women's Evaluation Unit and hooked me up. Of course his heart rate started moving then. I was hooked up for almost 3 hours and only once did anyone even come in to look at me. The midwife came in and said he looked good and she was going to call the on-call doc. Then an hour and a half later a nurse came in and discharged me...at 2:45 p.m.

That was my day. It started off fine. Then got scary because I was so worried about Dominick. Then got annoying because I was hooked up to monitors for 3 hours with no one checking on me or telling me what was going on. And ended with me getting to go home.

I see the doc on Thursday and have another NST on Friday. This time I'm going to bring some donuts in my purse and if he's not moving too much, I'm going to eat a donut and get him moving on my own! No more of this biophysical or admitting me to the hospital nonsense. I know he'll move if I just give him a little sugar!

Ahhhh. Only 9 more days...

2 comments:

Crystal Mueller said...

Wow - that is an annoying story! I can't believe you were only checked on one time in those three hours!
I wish he would just come for you!
Everyday when I get home reading your blogs is one of the first things I do, because I'm so excited for you!
Hopefully he'll come soon and like you said, only 9 more days, max!!

Ashley said...

Aww Megs I am sorry, I TOLD you next time this stuff happens CALL me and I will come up there and keep you company!

I will be praying that he will come for you soon! :)

Love you!