Friday, January 30, 2009

Sleep?? What is sleep again?

So today Dominick is one week old! Yay!

We had our first appointment with the pediatrician. It went really well. Dominick was 8 lbs. 1 oz. when we left the hospital on Tuesday and was up to 8 lbs. 5 ozs. today. So that is great. The doctor said since he's gaining weight so well, we don't need to wake him at night to eat. So we are trying something new tonight. We are going to try to feed him as much as he can eat at midnight and see how much sleep we can get.

He didn't do so well at night the previous few nights. Tuesday and Wednesday night specifically. Wednesday night I fed him at 8. Fed him again at 10. Fed him again at 12. Then he cried and Nick had to hold him from 12:30 to 2:30. Then he gave him back to me and I fed him at 2:30 and I had to hold him from 3:15 until about 5. Then I fed him again at 5. (Mind you he hasn't slept since like 10 something.) I finally got him to sleep around 5:45...he was up again by 6:45 screaming...Finally he laid down for at least two hours after that and I got a little sleep.

This has been an interesting few days at home. It's so strange being a "mom". It still doesn't feel real. I feel like Nick and I are babysitting or something...Well I feel that way until I'm breastfeeding. I obviously have never done that while babysitting!! :-) But it's so strange. Nick and I have wanted to be parents for so long that now that it's finally here, it doesn't seem real. Dominick is so beautiful and so perfect that I can't believe he's ours.

Again I want to emphasize how great Nick has been and is. If there is ever a stinky diaper, he's up to the task. He never asks me to do it. I have done my fair share too, but he does whatever it takes. He holds him and burps him for me after I feed him. He helps me rock him to sleep. He helps change his clothes and get him ready for bed. He's been great. Absolutely amazing.

Happy one week birthday, Dom!

1 comment:

Les said...

Aw I hope you are getting a little more sleep now Megs! That's funny you feel like you are babysitting, I never thought of it that way, but this lil won't leave :) Can't wait to see you guys soon and read more updates!!!