Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Hospital Scare

Not me.

My sister threw a Cousin's party on Sunday, the 26th. She did it last year too and hopes to make it an annual party. Anyway, back to the story.

Nick and I got to her house around noon on Sunday. She was running around and trying to get a million things done and looked exhausted. The party was a success even though it was a small party. A lot of people opted to stay home after the long holiday weekend. And that was fine. Angela looked like she needed rest.

Around 4, Dominick fell asleep in my arms and Cecilia had fallen asleep on the couch. Nick and Andrew went upstairs to play XBox and Ang and I watched football and talked.

I noticed that she kept grabbing her stomach and taking deep breaths. I asked if she was ok and she said she thought she had a slight bug, or Braxton Hicks contractions, but that she was fine. I agreed to let it go, but not 15 minutes later and she was grabbing her stomach again. I told her to call the exchange and talk to someone.

She said no.

A little while later, we started cleaning everything up and she was white as a sheet and still having stomach pains. We cleaned as fast as we could and I told her to drink water and lay down. She said she was fine, but I could tell she wasn't.

When we left, I asked her to call the doc if things stayed the same or got worse. She said ok.

I didn't talk to her again until Monday afternoon, but apparently things got worse. She called the doc and her doc office was closed on Monday. She decided to go to the hospital and get checked out.

She was having contractions.

Now she wasn't in labor, and they weren't "productive" contractions, meaning they weren't moving the baby down or causing her to dilate, but they were still painful. They were caused by dehydration. They pumped her with a few bags of fluids and she felt better. Not great, but well enough to be released.

I knew exactly what she was going through. When I was pregnant with Dominick, we were supposed to host Christmas Day with Nick's family and I got sick. I was trying to do too much while 8 months pregnant and got sick and ended up in the hospital with extreme dehydration. It's not labor but it feels like labor. Even after going through labor, those contractions felt like the early stages of labor and not like Braxton hicks. It was not fun.

But I'm glad she is home and better. Hopefully she continues to get the rest she needs and stays hydrated. That baby girl needs a little more time to grow.

No comments: